Chapter 5: Once They're Gone A Part Of You Dies

Six hours.

Six hours since Michonne left. I tried not to think about what's happening, or whats happened, or even what's going to happen. But it didn't work. I didn't engage in conversation with my mother. She tried to talk to me, to keep my mind off of Michonne, but I either ignored her or told her I didn't want to talk.

I sat against the cell door with my knees to my chest. My mother was sleeping, and it was quiet except for the occasional cries of the baby.

"Finally got Judith to sleep." I heard Hershel say.

"How are we with formula?" Carl asked him.

"We have enough to last us another month." answered Hershel.

"I'll take Carol for some more at the end of the week."

"Your dad and the others will be back by then." Beth reassured.

"We don't know that." Carl told her.

I looked down. He was right. I shouldn't get my hopes up. The Governor was dangerous. Who knew what he was capable of.

"Right now, Judith is the only family I got."

All of a sudden, I heard a distant woman screaming. Was someone in the prison? My mother gave me a worried look.

"What was that?" Beth asked.

"That was from inside." said Hershel.

"Was that Carol?" Carl asked.

"She's out keeping watch in the guard tower with Axel." Hershel answered.

"What if they came back in for something? What if they're in trouble?" Beth questioned worriedly.

"Let's check the tower, see if she's there." Hershel suggested.

"How could anyone else get in?" Beth said.

"The tombs are filled with walkers that wandered in from outside." Hershel explained. "Someone else could have done the same thing."

We heard another scream. I sprang up from the ground.

"I'm going." Carl got up from the steps but Hershel placed one of his crutches in front of him.

"I can't let you go down there." He said.

Carl cocked his gun. "My father would go."

He opened the cell door and had Hershel lock it. He was about to leave when I called out to him.

"Hey!" I said. Carl turned around and looked at me. "I want to come with you."

"No." He said and turned to leave again.

"Please." I said. "I need to keep my mind off Michonne. I won't try anything, I promise."

He stared at me. Then he sighed and walked over. "Fine."

He told Hershel to unlock the cell door, then he walked in one of the cell blocks and gave me my weapons and a flashlight.

"But if you try anything-"

"You'll kill me, I know." I told him. "Your father said the same thing to me."

I strapped my machete on my forearm and slipped my brass knuckles over my glove.

"Brenda." My mom called. I turned around. "Don't go. It's not safe."

I walked over to her and hugged her. "I'll be fine. Promise."

"Come on!" Carl said and together, we left the cell block.

* * *

It was quiet. No biters in sight yet. We turned a corner, but nothing.