Chapter 6: His House, His Group, His Rules

I woke up in the morning, feeling better than I have ever been. I had the best sleep I've had in months. I sat up and looked at the top bunk. My mother was still sleeping.

I realized that Michonne still wasn't back yet. She should've been hours ago. Did something happen?

I shook my head to get rid of the negative thoughts and left the cell. Beth was taking care of the baby and she smiled when she saw me. I surprisingly smiled back.

I walked around the cell blocks and stopped at Hershel's cell. He sat at the end of his bed, staring at the wall. I slowly went inside and sat down next to him.

For a few moments, we didn't talk. But I wanted to know what was wrong so I asked him.

"Is it Maggie and Glenn?" I asked.

He didn't answer.

"Do you think they'll come back?" I asked softly, thinking about Michonne.

"I know they will." said Hershel.

"Then what's wrong?"

"I'm just afraid somethings happened to them."

I put a hand on his shoulder. "I'm sure they're okay."

He nodded and I dropped my hand.

"You seem like a nice girl." Hershel told me.

"You don't know me." I said.

"No, but I know you can be a helpful asset to the group." He said. "Rick doesn't see that yet . . . but he will."

"You think he'll let me stay?"

"I don't know." He told me truthfully. "But I'll be sure to talk to him about it."

"Thank you, Hershel." I said. "But you don't have to do that. If he wants us to leave, then I won't argue. His house, his group, his rules. And I respect that."

"You know," he looked at me, "you remind me of Maggie when she was your age. Smart, respectful, brave."

I smiled. We were quiet once again.

This place is much more safer than Woodbury. Sure, they had walls, water and food, but this place has good people. Not just good at surviving, but good, genuine, people. And somehow, I felt at home here. I hoped Rick will change his mind when he comes back. If he comes back.

"If you don't mind me asking," I said to Hershel, "how'd you lose your leg?"

"I got bit." He said. "Rick cut it off. Saved my life. I know he seems like an unfriendly person, but he isn't. He is a good leader, a good man. He just does what he has to to keep this group safe."

I nodded and stood up. "I'll see you later, old man."

Hershel laughed and I was glad I could make him feel better.

An hour later, we all left the cell blocks and went into the room where the group of survivors Carl and I saved were at. Axel was making food, Beth was taking care of Judith and Hershel was tending to Allen's wound.

"You can take those stitches out yourself in a week or so." Hershel said.

"Thank you." Allen told him.

"Pretty nice having medical training." Tyreese said.

"It'll only get you so far." said Hershel.

"You were bit?" Tyreese asked him.

Hershel nodded.

Beth walked across the room with Judith in her arms. Sasha stood up.

"How old is the baby?" She asked.