Chapter 28: Isn't The End

"Should we go outside and look for him?" I asked.

Michonne paced back and forth. "Rick told us to stay here in case Daryl and Carol come back, so we all can't leave. But I can't leave you here alone."

"What if he doesn't want to be found? Maybe he just left." Carl said.

I shook my head. "He wouldn't do that. He doesn't know how to fight walkers, let alone survive out there alone."

Michonne nodded. "She's right."

"So what do we do?"

She opened her mouth to answer, but that's when we heard a faint voice, Please! Let me in! We all glanced at each other. Was it Gabriel or someone else? But then the voice got closer.

"They're close! Help! They're coming!"

"It's Gabriel." I said and got up, running to the door.

"Don't leave me out here! Brenda! Carl! Michonne!" He kept screaming, and that's when I heard the walkers. "I had to see it! I know it now! Let me live with it!"

Carl and I came to the door first, while Michonne was handling Judith. "Wait!" she said, but we didn't listen.

Carl and I - me with just one arm - tried pulling the piece of wood off of the door, but it wouldn't budge. Gabriel kept screaming from right outside the door, and my heart was beating. Hopefully the barricades we set up will hold them off enough for us to let him inside.

"Get back." Michonne said, and we stepped back. She took a deep breath, and swung the axe down on the wood.

With a few more swings, she finally cut the wood down, so Carl opened the door and I grabbed Gabriel's arm and yanked him inside. A walker grabbed my hair, pulling me back and my eyes went wide as I shrieked. But Carl shot the walker with his gun and I scrambled to get back inside.

Carl pulled me up and pushed me behind him. Michonne stood in front of us and took out her katana. She killed a few walkers but she soon realized it wasn't going to be enough to kill all of them.

"The rectory, come on!" Gabriel yelled and we all turned and followed him.

Once we were all in the rectory, Gabriel shut the door before the walkers could get inside with us. Michonne and him held the door shut while Carl and I held out our guns just in case. Gabriel pointed to the floor and we looked down; it was a hole through the wood floor, revealing the dirt from under the building.

"That's how I got out. Crawl under to the back." he told us. "Just go. Take the little one and go."

Michonne took Judith off her back and gave her to Carl, which started her crying. I pushed him in front of me and he jumped down onto the dirt.

"Hey, hey." Michonne said and we looked up at her. "Wait for me."

We nodded and then Carl crawled under the church, me behind him. He went fast, and I wish I could have been as fast but with my shoulder just getting new stitches, it was hard. I heard Michonne behind me and I knew I had to go.

"Screw it." I muttered and put my arm down, moving both arms in front of me as I crawled as fast as I could possibly go. I winced every time I used my wounded shoulder but I sucked it up until I finally was out of under the church.

Carl helped me up and that's when I spit out a storm of curses, my hand going up to my shoulder. Michonne and Gabriel soon came up after me.

"I can't run anymore." Gabriel said.

"We're not running." Michonne told him and then she turned to us and told us what to do.

While Gabriel held Judith and stood back, Carl and I rushed to the front of the church and killed the walkers that were stuck in our traps as Michonne went further than us, up the steps to close the doors, locking the walkers inside.