Chapter 15: Who Knows What Could Happen Next?

"You know I don't want it to be like this, right?" I asked him, leaning against his cell door, not too close, but not too far either. "You know that."

Carl stopped what he was doing for a moment, looked up at me with a look like he didn't want to admit I was right, then went back to packing his things. "I know."

"Then why don't you look like it?" I pushed, trying to get the answer out of him.

He didn't answer me. In fact, I don't even know if he heard me. He just kept on packing.

"Carl." I said, sternly this time.

"Because I don't want to leave you." He raised his voice, as he stopped packing once again, but not looking at me in the eye.

I silenced. I couldn't help but notice my heart racing, but I ignored it. I sighed. "Carl, you know it has to be this way. I'm only going to be on the other side of the cell block. It probably won't be long, anyway. It'll just be a few days until we find medication."

"We don't know that." He said and I sighed again.

"I don't want to leave you, either, but I can't risk you getting hurt. I can't risk you ending up like Patrick. I would never forgive myself."

I finally told him what was on my mind ever since Rick had said there was an infection, a deadly disease, spreading around. If Carl ended up dead . . . I don't know what I would do.

Carl finally looked at me. This time, with a pitiful expression. "Don't talk like that, Brenda. This isn't your fault."

"I know it isn't." I told him. I opened my mouth to say more, but that's when Rick came in.

I was dreading the moment when he finally came in. Both Carl and I knew he was going to take Carl to the other side of the cell block, and we won't see each other for a while. Rick didn't like the idea, but he knew it what had to be done.

Carl didn't look at him, and continued to pack, but angrily this time.

"It's for your own good." said Rick.

"I'm fine." Carl said, and when he glanced at me for a split second, I knew he was lying. "I don't want to be locked away with a bunch of kids."

"I need you in there keeping an eye on Judith and everybody else." Rick told him. "Making sure they're safe."

Carl grabbed his gun and put it in his holster. Rick gripped his knuckles; I knew Rick had just recently given Carl his gun back. He didn't like it, but he knew that he needed it to be safe, especially with the infection spreading very quickly.

"If anybody gets sick, you let me know." Rick said.

"What if they've already turned when I find them?" Carl questioned, making a point - a good point, I have to admit - but only to use his gun. He put his backpack over his shoulder.

Rick knew what Carl was trying to do. "You don't fire unless you absolutely need to."

"But you know I might need to, right?" Carl stepped forward, staring Rick right in the eye.

I stood there, awkwardly. I didn't pick a side. Both Carl and Rick were right. Carl needed to defend himself in case of an emergency, but he also didn't need his gun at every moment. Guns leads to walkers, walkers lead to chaos, and chaos leads to death. I don't see why they didn't just get along on this.

Rick reluctantly nodded.

Carl went to leave, but before he did, he looked at me and grabbed my hand. My heart raced too much to notice he had but something inside of my hand. He then let go and left the cell block. Rick looked concerned and then left behind him.