Chapter 10: She Didn't Have To Suffer Anymore

"I didn't know her long, but Reyna was a good woman. And although she wasn't made for this world, she survived long enough." Michonne said and walked back next to me.

"Brenda," said Rick, "would you like to say something?"

I shook my head.

We were outside of the prison. Rick and the group wanted to have a burial for my mother. It took all of my strength to come.

I know I should have spoken for my mother. It's the right thing to do. But I couldn't speak. I tried, but nothing came out.

Slowly, everyone vanished. As they walked back to the prison, they laid hands on my shoulder. Michonne stayed a bit longer, but eventually left. I couldn't leave. Not yet.

Carl was the only one who stayed.

He slipped his hand into mine. Under different circumstances, it probably would've been weird, being we barely knew each other, but I knew why he did it. He knew I was hurting. And I was glad he was here with me. It was comforting.

* * *

Carl left an hour later. He never let go of my hand, no matter how sweaty our hands were or how hot it was outside. He told me I should come back inside and eat. I did.

When we walked into the prison, we saw Rick, Daryl, and Hershel gathering weapons and other supplies.

"Where are you going?" Carl asked.

Rick looked at him and walked over. "I'm gonna have a little chat with the Governor."

Carl was shocked.

"We won't be long." said Rick and hugged him. "Take care of your sister for me, okay?"

Carl nodded and Rick stood up. He patted my shoulder and left the prison, Daryl and Hershel right behind him.

"They'll be fine." Beth told Carl, although she didn't look convinced herself.

* * *

Glenn told us that we have to guard this place, just in case the talk with the Governor goes South. So Carl and I helped gather weapons and ammo together.

"Carl, Brenda, come here." Glenn called to us.

We walked over to him.

"Stash these at the loading dock." He said and handed us boxes of ammo. "All right?"

We nodded.

"Beth, put more up on the catwalk." said Glenn. "If anyone gets pinned down, we need to make sure that they have plenty of ammo."

He grabbed some tools. "I'll go work on the cage outside."

"What we should be doing is loading some of this firepower in a truck and paying a visit to the Governor." said Merle. "We know where he is right now."

"Are you suggesting that we just go in and kill him?"

"Yeah, I am."

"We told Rick and Daryl that we'd stay put." Michonne said.

"I've changed my mind, sweetheart." Merle said. "Being on the sideline with my brother out there ain't sitting right with me."