Chapter 17: Even Strong Men Get Scared

I woke up the next morning, finally feeling better. Daryl, Tyreese, Bob, and Michonne spent the whole day yesterday to get medication for everyone that was sick. They came back last night and gave everything Hershel needed. Hershel then spent the whole night putting medication in our IVs. It took a while to feel something, but once I did, it never felt so great.

I stood up from my bed. I still had to lean against the wall. Although I was feeling better, my legs were still wobbly. I left my cell and looked around for Hershel. Then I remembered that he and Michonne went to burn the corpses.

I heard around the cell block that the night D was attacked, the gunshots brought more walkers at the fences. They eventually teared down the fence, but Rick and Carl was up all night shooting the walkers. They spent as much ammo as they had to until every single one of the walkers were down. Things here spread pretty fast.

I walked around, looking inside the cells. Everyone was laughing, talking, and smiling. They didn't look sick anymore. I then thought back to the people who died because of this illness. They couldn't survive long enough to get medication in their body.

Looking up, I saw Maggie and Glenn laughing. They looked so happy. I was glad Glenn turned out okay. I don't know what Maggie would do if he . . .

"Brenda!"

I spun around at the call of my name to see Carl standing there, inside the cell block. There's no point in arguing with him anymore. We have medication now, so I guess it doesn't matter if he comes in here.

Carl had a big smile on his face and I couldn't help but smile, too. I missed him, even though we spoke through a glass window. I missed being near him; being in different rooms while speaking through glass doesn't count.

He tackled me in a hug. I returned it, hugging him tight. I really can't explain how much I missed him. We were only separated for a few days, but you never know what could happen. To be honest, I never thought I would see him again.

"I was really worried about you." Carl told me, his arms still around me.

"Well, I'm here now," I said back, "there's nothing to worry about anymore."

He let go, a smile still on his face. "Can you leave yet?"

"Hershel told us to stay and rest for a while," I began and Carl's smile turned into a frown. "But he's not here, so . . ."

Carl smirked and we started to leave the cell block when he stopped suddenly. I frowned. "What's wrong?"

"When you came to visit me while I was guarding the un-infected people on the other side of the cell block, you were going to say something before you, you know . . ." He trailed off, then continued. "Do you remember what it was you were going to say?"

I recalled back to that night when I found out I was sick, trying to think about what Carl was talking about. But all I remembered was our fight. Nothing else.

I shook my head. "No, I don't remember. I'm sorry." I apologized.

"No, it's fine." Carl said, failing to show his disappointment. But he covered it quickly. "Do you wanna—"

Rumbling cut him off. Dust fell from the ceiling as the room shook. I narrowed my eyes confusingly. It was like a small and quick earthquake. As soon as it came, it left.

Carl and I exchanged glances. We didn't need to speak; we already knew something happened. Together, we turned and left the cell block, and ran outside.

Rick, Daryl, Tyreese, Sasha, Maggie, Beth and Bob came outside, too. We all had a worried expression on our face.

I smelt smoke and we all turned to look. One of the prison's tower was on fire. We saw something in the distance and went to the fence to get a closer look.