Chapter 4: We Were Being Hunted

We stared at each other for about a minute before a biter came at me. It wasn't going to attack, at least not at that moment, but it looked like it was checking if I was one of them. I stepped back. I was about to question, but then the biter suddenly jumped at me.

I sliced it's head off with my forearm machete and turned to Michonne.

"The guts must have dried!" I told her.

She then started to kill the nearest biters who tried to eat us. My mother looked unsure of it, though.

"Mom, you have to fight!" I yelled at her.

She nodded and swung her baseball bat at the nearest biter. I turned around to see a biter right in front of me. I stepped back quickly and bashed my brass knuckles through its skull.

A boy with a sheriff hat ran over and looked at the man who was just standing there, watching us.

"Should we help them?" He asked.

I knocked down a biter and crushed its brain and as I turned around to check on my mother, I saw Michonne fall on the ground.

"Michonne!" I yelled.

I ran forward and sliced two biters' heads off with one move. I bent down and shook Michonne's shoulder, but she was knocked out.

My mother killed two biters that came staggering towards us. She looked at me and her eyes widened.

"Brenda, look behind you!" She shouted.

I turned around just to see a biter's mouth about to attack my face, but I heard a gunshot and the biter tumbled down to the ground.

I spun around to see the boy with the sheriff hat with his gun out, staring at me with his eyes wide.

"Carl!" The man called to the boy and the boy threw him a pair of keys. "Shit."

The man opened the gate and he and the boy ran to the rescue, shooting every biter in sight. The boy grabbed the box of formula we brought.

An old man in crutches came over to us and asked the man, "Is she bit?"

"She isn't bit." I told him, but the man ignored me and checked Michonne anyway.

"Gunshot." He said.

He grabbed Michonne and put her over his shoulder. I went to pick up her sword, but the boy got to it before me and looked at me. He shook his head, as if to say she's not getting this back for a while.

I stared at him until he walked away, following the man with Michonne. I waved my hand at my mother and we followed them into the prison. We walked into this large room. The walls had painted on it, in huge letters, C block.

"Carl, get a blanket." The man with Michonne over his shoulder told the boy. "Beth, water and a towel."

A girl with blond hair and a baby in her arms nodded. "All right."

"Here?" The boy asked.

"She's not coming in the cell blocks." The man said and gently laid Michonne down on the blanket. "Whoa, whoa, whoa. Steady now. All right."

I sat down next to her with my mother behind me. Beth, the girl with the baby, handed the man a water bottle and he thanked her.

Michonne stirred and the man spilled some water from the bottle on her chest.

"Shh. It's all right. It's all right. Hey, hey, look at me. Look at me." He said and paused. "Who are you?"

Michonne gasped and I patted her shoulder. "You're okay."