Chapter 20: We Already Lost Them

"I'm not sure about this." I said.

We were walking down the trail, everyone looking happier than ever. Except me. I didn't think this Terminus place was a good idea. I didn't tell the others yet, but I decided I could tell Tyreese. Carol was with the girls; I could tell her later. Maybe I could change their minds.

"What are you talking about?" asked Tyreese.

"Terminus." I replied, looking ahead of me to see if Lizzie or Mika had heard. "I don't think we should go."

"How could you say that?" Tyreese said.

"We barely know anything about it!" I told him. "We're not sure if it's really a sanctuary or not, w-"

"That's why we're going." said Tyreese. "We'll find out when we get there."

"What if it turns out to be a lie, huh?" I questioned. "What if it turns out to be just another war waiting for us. We lost Hershel, and practically everybody else. We're the only ones left-"

"You don't know that." Tyreese said, suddenly serious. I knew who he was thinking about. Sasha. I can't believe he thought she, let alone anybody, were still out there. I didn't want to make him feel bad, but how could anybody survive the prison's attack? We're lucky we even made it out.

I stayed quiet after. If I said anything else about the prison, I would lose it. It was in the past. I don't need to worry about it anymore. Or anyone. I just need to stick to this group.

"You could talk to me, you know. About what happened. You're not the only one that's hurting." Tyreese said.

"I don't need to talk about it, okay? It's in the past. We're here now. That's what we should be worrying about. Surviving." And then I walked forward, leaving him in the back.

***

"Look! A grocery store!" Mika said with a big smile on her face.

She ran over to the store without waiting for us.

"Wait, Mika!" Lizzie shouted and ran after her.

The rest of us ran behind them and luckily caught up to them before they could enter. Tyreese blocked them from the door.

"Wait, wait." Tyreese panted.

"Here, take her." Carol handed Judith to Lizzie and looked at the girls in the eye. "You two stay right here. We'll check inside. If anything happens, run."

The girls nodded simultaneously. Carol looked at Tyreese and I and nodded at us. We entered the grocery store.

Almost instantly, four walkers lunged at all three of us from behind the doors. I stabbed my machete through the middle of one of the walkers' forehead, sending it down to the floor. By the time I got my weapon out of the walkers' head, I turned around and saw the rest of the walkers already dead.

"I'll go straight, Tyreese go to the right and Brenda go to the left." Carol instructed and we nodded.

We went our separate ways. It was dark. There were no lights on, except the sunlight from outside. The store seemed like it was looked through a while back, cans on the ground and shelves with nothing but empty bottles. I took out my gun, just in case.

Every time I came across another aisle, my heart pumped. You never know if there were a herd of walkers just waiting for their prey to come at them like a trap.

I finally got to the last aisle. For some reason, I got a feeling in my gut telling me there was a walker hiding in the corner. I took a deep breath and spun my body around the corner.