Explaining.

Chapter 13:

Jake's POV:

When I get home Mom had made me my favourite dinner.

"Aw sweet thanks Mom", I say, coming up behind her and hugging her.

"What's up with you, how come you're so happy?" she asks.

"Why do you think I'm happy?"

"Well you haven't hugged me for years", she laughs. Wow years? I was the worst son. "Oh your father called, he was wondering if you wanted to stay at his during the weekend?"

"Sure, I'll call him later". My dad lives with his new wife; my stepmom. Yeah she was nice and she made my dad happy so I like her a lot. Dad remarried last year. She has a 14 year old daughter from her previous marriage that lives with my dad and her. Her name's Sarah and she's nice too. I've gotten to get to know her a bit on my other stays at my dad's house. My dad is a millionaire. When he and mom split he let my mom have a lot of the money. So I live in a pretty big house and so does my dad. I still see him, just not a lot during these past few months.

"So you still haven't told me why you're so happy?" she laughs.

"Yeah, well if I tell you, you'll get mad". She raises an eyebrow.

"What's up?" I got to tell her sometime. I look her into the eyes and take a breath.

"I-I-I've...after....I've gotten a girl pregnant", I say slowly as I stutter out the words.

"Jake how can you be so stupid!" she shouts.

"I know mom and I'm sorry".

"Sorry! You should be apologising to that poor girl not me". I know, I will. I nod and look down at the ground with shame. "I told you if you kept doing it you'd end up getting someone pregnant".

"I know", I sigh.

"I don't mind you having sex as long as it's safe", she shouts. She knows I sleep with lots of girls. She was angry at first but she couldn't get me to change so she just left it. "I told you I didn't want you making the same mistakes as your father and I did". Mom had me when she was 19, dad was 20. They weren't married until they were 23. My mom's now 36 and dad's 37. Dad's wife Maria is 37 too.

"So, you're calling me a mistake? Well sorry I ruined your life Mom" I say hurt.

"No you didn't ruin it Jake and you weren't a mistake. I never regret having you. You're everything to your father and I, you know that, you made me and your father's lives so incredible. It's just you're 17 Jake!" I nod shamefully. "How old is she?"

"16".

"Shit!" She buries her head into her hands as she sits on the couch.

"Please don't be mad mom", I beg, sitting beside her.

"I'm not mad sweetie, I'm disappointed. Are you going to be there for her?"

"I'm going to look after her as much as I can and support her. I'll get a job and look after them".

"Good but there's no need to get a job, your father and I have lots of money, are you two going out?"

"No but I love her and I'm going to tell her how I feel, then, hopefully, we can be a family, all four of us".

"Four?"

"It's twins". She sighs louder. I get out my wallet and show her the ultrasound picture and she smiles.

"Aw, I have two grandbabies", she cries. I laugh and hug her. "Now honey, you know babies can cause lots of arguments so try not and let that happen if you want to be with her".