chapter eleven

***

Dan can't believe Connor is now leaving in only a week.

How will he possibly survive without Connor? He's barely keeping it together with him here. Dan fears he may go completely insane without Connor.

The past weeks have flown by, and Dan is just about ready for a break from school, but there's one problem: Connor leaves before the break. Which means two weeks at home with his father, alone. That will suck majorly for Dan.

Dan glances across the school grounds, accidentally making eye contact with whom he now knows is Bethany Mota. She gives Dan a sad smile before looking away, not wanting his friends to catch the glance between them.

See, the thing is, over the past month, Dan has been texting her because, well, she looks, well, is lonely, and Dan knows what that feels like. He knows it feels like total shit, and he wants to try and prevent that.

"Was Mota looking at you just then?" Joe asks, glancing over at Dan, "she's so annoying."

Dan just shakes his head before looking elsewhere, listening in to Connor and Phil's conversation going on beside him.

"I can't believe I have to go!" Connor whines to Dan and Phil, pouting and sighing deeply, "I want to stay here with all you guys!"

"You should!" Phil says, laughing, "we have to keep in touch though. We'll all miss you."

"Dan gets all the cool friends," Connor whines, "I wish I could stay here instead, even if the weather is crappy."

"The weather is that bad!" Phil protests, "it's nice, mild, never too hot..."

"That's for sure," Connor laughs.

Dan sighs, looking around his group. Although they've all gotten really close, and are really great friends, Dan still can't help but feel like an outsider in the group. He still feels like he's partially invading on everyone else and he hates it.

Dan pulls out his phone, but soon realizes that he has no one to text, aside from his brother and mother, because all his friends are here. Screw it, Dan thinks, I'll just text Quinn.

Dan: hey little bro how are you?

To Dan's surprise, he gets a reply almost instantly, which is odd because Quinn should be in class right now.

Quinn: not good... Call? I'd rather not type it...

Dan: Okay...

Dan frowns, staring at the texts. That's odd, he wonders what Quinn wants... What of his dad has done something, what is his mother is hurt, what if...

Dan's phone starts vibrating.

Incoming call: Quinn

"Dan," Quinn breathes, his voice quiet, "I-Um... I've been meaning to tell you but you seemed troubled enough and mum's busy enough and I'd never tell dad..."

Dan listens as Quinn rambles on, wishing he could just tell Quinn to get to the point already.

"And well, school isn't great for me Dan. I know since we moved it's been great for you but..." Quinn's voice wavers as he swallows the lump in his throat, "I've been locked in a store cupboard by some kids in my class."

Dan's eyes widen and anger takes over him. How dare they do that to his little brother. Dan hangs up, standing abruptly and slinging his bag over his shoulder.

"Dan what are you doing?" Phil asks, frowning at Dan as he starts walking away, staggering to his feet and following after, "where are you going?"

Dan ignores Phil, determined to get to his brother, not even checking of Phil was still behind him as he runs out the gates. How did he not see this? How did he hide it so well?