chapter twenty four

***

Phil seems slightly distracted recently.

Every time that he is with Dan, he is looking around, as if he is trying to find someone around them. Dan ignores it, but he still is worried about it. But he doesn't want to bring it up with Phil, so he stays silent - like he always does.

Dan glances sideways at Phil, who is chatting enthusiastically to Louise. Dan feels slightly lonely, but then his phone vibrates in his pocket, so he focuses on pulling his phone out of his pocket, which is quite the struggle.

Troye: hey Dan, how are you going?

Dan smiles softly, seeing Troye's name there. He quickly types out a reply.

Dan: good, I'm at school though. Ew.

Troye: I'm sure it isn't that bad. Isn't Phil there with you?

Dan: yeah, but he's talking to Louise

Troye: well I'll talk to you

Dan: thanks but the bell is gonna ring soon :/

Troye: well we'll talk later then. Have fun in class ^_^

Dan: -_-

Dan locks his phone just as the sound of the bell echoes around the school. Dan sighs deeply, standing and shoving his phone into his pocket before picking up his bag. Phil follows suit and walks beside Dan towards their first class.

"Oh yeah, Dan, my brother is coming home from boarding school on Saturday, cause it's holidays soon and his school finishes a week earlier than us," Phil says, taking Dan's hand in his.

Dan pauses. Phil's brother, the guy who bullied his brother and made him and Phil have a fight. He forgot about him, he was so caught up with other things in his life. He knows that Quinn won't handle this well, and he won't blame him.

"Look, I know you don't like him, and I don't blame you, but this school has really changed him, you'll see," Phil says, "he's a good kid, I swear. Will you give him a chance - for me?"

Dan sighs, knowing he can only agree. Phil's family have shown him and his brother so much support and kindness, he'd feel like the biggest, most unappreciative twat to say no. So he nods in response, giving Phil a small smile.

"Thanks Dan," Phil says, pulling Dan into a hug, "I promise he won't cause you or Quinn any trouble."

Phil tugs Dan into their classroom, finding a seat at the back. Dan is distracted through the whole class - not that it mattered much. Their exams were finished and teachers are now just filling in the next two weeks until summer holidays begin.

"Psst, Dan, can you believe it's almost summer holidays already?" Phil whispers, leaning closer to Dan.

I know, they've come so fast Dan scribbles the reply onto a page in the back of his book, tilting the page towards Phil. Phil smiles and nods in agreement.

"We'll have what, roughly six weeks of time together," Phil says, grinning, "I can't wait."

Dan nods. I can't wait either.

Phil's phone buzzes in his pocket, and Dan watches as Phil pulls it out, tilting the screen away from Dan as he reads it. Dan shrugs, thinking nothing of it and looking around at the other students in the class.

Phil reads the text he received. He sighs in relief when it's only from his brother.

Henry: hey bro, can't wait to see you tomorrow.