chapter fifteen

***

Dan blinks his eyes open, his head throbbing and vision still slightly blurry.

"Dan! Dan's awake!" Quinn's voice calls out excitedly, making Dan's headache worse, but his heart rises when he hears that his brother is okay, "Dan! Hi!"

Dan smiles softly, his eyes focusing on the face of his you her brother. He frowns slightly at the dark bruise on his forehead, but Quinn looks so happy he decides to worry about that later.

"Dan oh Dan, are you okay?" his mother asks, rushing over and pulling her eldest son into a tight hug, "I'm so, so sorry Dan, I-I didn't realise."

Dan smiles, closing his eyes and enjoying his mother's embrace, before looking around the room, pushing his headache aside. He is surprised and happy to find that he's in his own room.

"Well, you've been out for three days - we took you to hospital but they said you should just stay at home and that you weren't in critical condition - you're just healing still," his mother explains, "as for your father, he's in jail but only temporarily as he got busted for drink driving."

Dan nods slowly, barely processing what he is hearing. He wants to cry, smile and hug his mum and brother tightly all at the same time. His father is out of the picture - for now.

"Things will be better now Dan, I promise, that man is out of our lives," his mother says, hugging onto Dan again, "I'm so, so, so sorry."

Dan smiles, the sweet scent of his mother's rose scented perfume surrounding him. An extra pair of arms wraps around them, and Dan looks down to see Quinn has joined their hug. This is all the family Dan ever needs in his life - he doesn't need his father to be happy and to feel loved.

"Dan?" A soft voice asks, and Dan looks up to see Phil standing at the doorway, his blue eyes lit up with excitement and happiness at finally seeing Dan awake.

Dan grins at Phil, pulling away from the Howell Hug and turning to Phil. Phil rushes forward, attacking Dan in a hug, squeezing him tightly. Dan's eyes tear up slightly - he can't believe Phil is here - and he's glad he is too.

"Phil has been checking up on you every day, wanting you to wake up," Dan's mum laughs, smiling fondly at the two, "we've had some very nice chats."

"That we have," Phil says, pulling away from Dan and laughing, "everyone had missed you heaps Dan! They'll be happy to hear you're awake. They've been asking me every day! I know you'll move on from this Dan, you're really brave and I'm rambling again aren't I?"

Dan nods at Phil, grinning and making Phil laugh himself. Quinn looks happy and amused as well, while Dan's mum has her arm around Quinn, glad that her two sons are safe and that Dan is finally happy.

"Next time though Dan, speak about this," Phil says, "all of us, Joe, Caspar, Alfie, Louise, me, we're here for you. Remember that next time Dan. Don't you trust us?"

Dan nods, looking down somewhat guiltily at his hands. He does trust Phil but struggles with speaking - he always has. But maybe he can work on that, maybe this can be a fresh start for him.

"You're never alone Dan," Phil says, smiling genuinely at Dan, his grin so bright it would light up the world, "not while I'm here."

And Dan believes Phil's words, every one of them - he just wishes he could say them back to Phil.

***

After a day of rest and Phil chatting to him, Dan is back out of bed, walking around and feeling free of his troubles.

The Sunday morning light shines in through Dan's blinds, filling his room with a bright glow. His father gone seems to leave Dan feeling light and free. For once, nothing is troubling Dan, and he likes that feeling.