XVI : How Things Were

"Good evening abeonim*" I bowed nervously towards Jimin's father.

"Well isn't it Lee Jinhee? It has been so long... You've grown up well, I see." Mr. Park flashed us a warm smile.

"Daaaaddy!" Jisang came down the stairs running and greeted his father with a hug.

"Hi dad," Jimin simply said while smiling.

"Hello sons. Now sit down, all of you, and have these sausages I bought," he gestured us to come to the dining table.

We swarmed around the table, sat down and ate. The kids chattered with their father, they told jokes to each other and laughed together. Mrs. Park then came in the house while we were eating. We welcomed her home and she immediately fitted in the group conversation. The spouses looked so peaceful and sweet together, unlike how they used to be. Have they made up? I thought to myself. The sight of their family being a happy whole warmed up my heart. I'm glad that Jimin would no longer have to face shitty family situations.

I was too absorbed by the warmth floating around the family to realize that time had passed. I glanced at the clock hanging on the wall, it was already 9 pm. I wanted to stay with them, I was afraid that if I leave them today, everything would go back to how things were tomorrow. I didn't want their happiness to dissapear, I didn't want Jimin to dissapear, but my parents would worry if I don't come home. I've caused them enough worries and I don't plan on adding it.

"Thank you for the food, eomonim, abeonim. But I think it's late and I should really go home," I stood up from my chair and bowed towards them.

"Then I'll also leave to walk her home," Jimin also rose from his chair.

"Yes dear. Tell your parents we say hello, okay?" said Mrs. Park.

We greeted each others our goodbyes one more time and I waved Jisang bye. The moment we stepped out Jimin's house, the cool night breeze crept to our skin.

"Whew, it's still cold at night," I puffed my cheeks and hugged myself.

"Just stay close to me, you know I'm hot." Jimin playfully winked.

"Only in your wildest dreams, Park Jimin," I scrunched my nose and made a disgusted facial expression.

"Feel the heat!" Jimin threw his arms around my shoulders and pulled me closer towards him. My cheeks heated up and my chest thumped faster from the sudden skinship.

"Look look, you're even blushing already for I am so hot." Jimin poked my cheek.

"I am not! Besides, it's dark, so how would you know if I'm blushing or not?" I wiggled myself free.

My cheeks heated up even more and the beat of my heart was uncontrollably loud. Funny that I still felt like that even though he was gone for two months, how he still have this effect on me even though I didn't even know if he was truly alive or not.

My body stiffened the moment I got reminded that he was once gone from this world. I stopped walking. Jimin continued strutting a few steps before realizing that I had stopped.

"What's wrong?" he stopped and turned towards me. His eyes slightly widened and showed a glister of curiosity. He was going to walk towards my direction.

"Stop!" I slightly yelled.

"Wha- why?" he cancelled his steps and froze.

I stared at him. He was standing right beneath one of the streetlights. The yellowish gleam shone on his profile, especially his face. He was like a contrast to the dark surroundings around him. He looked so pure and undeserving of all the misery he had to face. He looked like an angel.