XXXVI

A couple of days went by since Killian's accident. He was brought back home and Emma agreed to stay with him until his shoulder was properly healed.

At first it served as an excuse to spend more time with him, but after days of trying to get the marriage subject out of her head, she couldn't wait for the damn wound to just close up.

Little things like her hugging him while he cooked freaked her out and she no longer did them. And every time he whispered romantic compliments into her ear in the middle of sex, or held her close in the shower. Little things that she'd usually welcome with all of her heart were now scaring her to death.

That also made her feel guilty because she had not brought up the subject since he mentioned it. She hadn't asked him about it, talked with him about it.

A part of her told her she was being silly and overacting at marriage. That side of her felt that if she was already pregnant with his child, why should marrying him be such a big deal?

The other side of her, the one she listened to, felt that she just wasn't ready to commit so much of herself to him. Dating was easy, fresh, exciting. Being bound by the church was something that took hard work, responsibility, loving each other unconditionally.

And they did.

She just wasn't sure of being in the white dress for now. Maybe into the future she'd start thinking about it, but not now.

One thing's for sure though, she would have to talk to him about the whole thing. Otherwise it'll eat her alive.

Emma stared in the mirror that was aligned with a silver border and bright lights, the ones you usually see backstage of a Broadway production, but of course Killian had one.

She had called Ingrid and asked her to meet up at Le Meilleur Café, a great little french coffee shop that was super comfortable and homey so they could talk. Emma was planning on telling her about the relationship with Killian and the baby, she just hoped it wouldn't fuck up the existence of her birth mother.

A soft knock on the door frame whisked her away from her thoughts.
"You all ready?"

"Yeah." She grabbed a black hair tie and pulled her hair up into a high ponytail, "Let's go."

"What time did you say you'd meet her?" Killian took a quick look at his reflection, passing a hand over his gelled hair to make sure it was neat.

"At two." She walked straight out onto the bedroom and slipped on coal-dark platforms, and she realized she was wearing all black besides the flow-y, spaghetti strap, maroon red top.

This was the first time she was actually going out in a while and it wasn't to her house, or a hospital, or her boyfriend's place. She was actually going somewhere. And she felt like a new person all cleaned up and not in those dull, gray sweats.

"We still have around forty minutes then," He walked up to her and his arms were around her in seconds, pulling their chests flush together as the warmth radiating off of his bare torso seeped into her skin, "let's make the most of them, shall we?"

She had been so focused on worrying about Ingrid that she completely overlooked the fact that her smoking hot boyfriend was shirtless, "It actually takes thirty minutes to get there, and ten for me to get my nerves under control."