XXXVII

She felt uneasy. Watching her mother stare into blank space, trying to process what she had just heard. The brief flicker of disappointment in her eyes is what made Emma's heart shatter, "You're pregnant?"

"Y-Yes."

"Emma, you're too young to have a child. You can't do this alone." Said Ingrid.

"I won't be alone," She took a deep inhale, "I have my parents and Killian."

"You don't know the responsibility of taking care of a baby."

"And you do?"

Ingrid shut her mouth and let out a sigh through her nose [does that even make sense?], eyes darting back and forth between the two, "Are you both sure about taking this on?"

"Yes." Killian nodded, his fingers still intertwined with Emma's beneath the table. Holding them tight.

"All I want to know is if you'll be willing to be with me through this." Her eyes met her mothers, false hope building in her chest.

"I need some time to think." She shook her head and stood up gathering her things, "It's all overwhelming."

A knot built in Emma's throat, preventing her from swallowing while her eyes watered.

"I'm sorry, Emma." Ingrid said truthfully, "I just need to think some things over."

"What do you need to think over? You're my mother!" She got up and watched her in disbelief.

"I'm... sorry." She said one last time before taking her purse and walking down the sidewalk.

"Ingrid!" Emma called after her but nothing, she just kept walking and eventually turned a corner.

Killian tugged on her hand gently, "Em?"

"I can't believe she left.."

"Technically, she didn't leave." He said and stood up to stand besides her, "She says she needs time to think."

"But she left!"

Killian wrapped an arm around her shoulders with an exhale and pulled her into his arms, "She'll come back."

She shook her head and buried her head against his uninjured shoulder, silently hating Ingrid at the moment for parting again.

After so many years of wondering a million things about the woman who conceived her. Wondering where she got her hair from, or her freckles, maybe even her eyes. Though she knows it probably came from her father since Ingrid had blue eyes.
She just can't believe that after waiting for years for that reunion, her hope fading over time, she finally came back.

And she left again, just like that.
She walked away, and Emma was planning on holding it over her head for as long as possible.

She's not aloud to just walk away after being away for seventeen years.

"Take me home," Her voice came out in a whisper muffled against his shirt, "please."

Tears stung her eyes, and she wanted so badly to keep them at bay, not let this affect her. But it it did, and so much. And she wished she could keep her face between the spot where his neck and shoulder met forever.