XXXIX

Emma honestly didn't know what to think or do. She knows she's not supposed to be bleeding during her pregnancy, and the thought scares the hell out of her since most miscarriages happen during the first trimester and she was currently in hers.
They both instantly got out of the tub and he drove her to St. Elizabeth's, same hospital they were both in.
On the way there he held her hand, tighter than ever, and even though the thought of losing her child, their child, terrified her to death, she couldn't help but imagine the relief she'd feel if she did loose the baby.
The rest of the drive she hated herself for thinking such things, letting silent tears slip past her eyes and subtly wiping them away so he wouldn't see until they finally arrived at Emergency.

She got out of the car and saw the red stain on the inner thigh of the pair of sweatpants that he had lent her, since going in her dress wasn't really an option. He also gave her one of his shirts, her hair still damp and her nose flushed from the sniffling she'd been doing.
She looked like a hot mess and neither cared when they rushed up to front desk and Killian lied to the counter woman telling her that Emma was his wife, knowing no questions would be asked about their ages if they were supposedly married.

The woman saw Emma's heartbroken eyes and the obvious mark on her pants and immediately gave her the fist exam room that was available. Killian hadn't said anything all throughout.

A nurse helped her get ready for the pelvic exam and ultrasound they were going to do. They changed her into a hospital gown and put her on a bed with leg holders, sort of like the ones for when women gave birth, but the legs were positioned lower.

She had her eyes closed, lips sealed tight as more droplets moistened her cheeks.

Finally, he whispered something when he leaned down and pressed his lips against her temple, "It's okay."

She didn't know wether it was okay if they lost the child, or if he meant that it was going to be alright, or if maybe he read her mind and meant it was okay for her to think about the good side of things if she did loose Liam. Nonetheless, she nodded and laced their fingers.

Emma's obstetrician came in, Dr. Scarlinsky and sat on a stool besides her bed, "When did the bleeding start, Emma?" He powered up the sonogram machine.

"Uh, tonight." Killian answered. He didn't really like the fact that he was male, but Jenna insisted he was the best of the best.

Scarlinsky (Joseph) covered Emma's mid portion in gel before placing the wand above her abdomen and moving it around until the image of the baby was clear, "There it is."

She sat up on her elbows and looked at the screen, "Is he okay?"

Joseph smiled and nodded, "Hear that?" He signaled to the peaking lines on the edge of the monitor, the steady rhythm of a heart echoing through the room, "It's the heart. Your baby's perfectly fine, Miss."

She huffed with a grin and more tears left her eyes, "Oh thank God."

Killian looked at his partner, "Told you so, love."

She nodded and kissed the back of his hand before turning back to her doctor, "Wait, then why was I bleeding?"

"It's kind of like you period."

"What?" Killian and Emma said in unison, both confused.

"It's actually not at all that rare, most women experience bleeding during the first twelve weeks of pregnancy, usually lasts a few days and it's very little. Nothing to worry about Emma, you're both going to be okay."

"So no pelvic exam, then?"

"Not today, sir."

"Good." Killian nodded and leaned down kissing her forehead sweetly.

They went back to his house, not the cabin, after checking out of the hospital knowing that everything would be fine.
After being home for only a matter of seconds, she pulled him into a tight hug, burying her face against his shoulder.

He wrapped his arms around her securely and sighed resting his cheek against the side of her head, "I love you."

"I love you, too." She whispered into his shirt and held onto him, "And I'm sorry I ruined tonight."

He pulled back to look at her, "Hey, you didn't ruin anything. And we'll have tons of more dates."

She smiled sadly, "Yeah, I guess so."

"Go upstairs and I'll make you some cocoa, alright?"

She nodded and ambled up the stairs, turning the corner and opening the door and going into the dark bedroom. She didn't bother turning the light on and headed straight for bed, laying down and switching his pillow for hers, hugging it to her chest and taking in his sweet scent with closed eyes.

She heard the lock on the door click and the lights came on.

"Hey." That wasn't Killian's voice.

She suspected who it was, but she couldn't bring herself to turn, to look. Her pulse was beating in her ears, chest tightening with every breath she tried to take.

"Come on, turn, don't leave me hanging."

-
And that's all you get! I usually make my chapters longer but, I had to do the cliffhanger.