Chapter 27

Ashton woke up the next morning, and pulled on his running shorts, a cut off t-shirt, and his black nikes. He grabbed the water bottles out of his fridge and threw them into his backpack with the granola bars.

He watched some tv and waited until he saw Caitlyn's car pull up outside.

"Hey there, long time no see," Ashton smiled getting into Caitlyn's car.

"Goodmorning, i'm glad you accepted my offer," Caitlyn smiled backing out of Ashton's driveway.

Ashton had texted her a few days ago after getting her number at work not too long ago. He hadn't seen Caitlyn in almost 10 years, he was wondering how she was doing. She offered going out and catching up, which Ashton accepted.

"Oh by the way I got us some muffins, they're in that bag," Caitlyn said stopping at a stop light.

"Thanks," Ashton said picking up the bag and grabbing one.

"I brought some water bottles and sunscreen in my backpack also," Ashton said pointing to his jaw string backpack by his feet.

Caitlyn nodded and turned up the radio. The two drove quietly for the short ride while Ashton ate the breakfast Caitlyn brought. The drive wasn't long. They decided to go on a hike to the Hollywood sign which wasn't too far from where Ashton lived. Even though he had lived here for a long time, he had never hiked up to the actual sign. When Caitlyn asked, he figured why not? Neither of them had done it, and it would be a good way to catch up.

Soon they pulled into the gravel parking lot and Caitlyn put the car in park. Ashton got out of the car and swung his backpack on his back before pulling his sunglasses on his face. Caitlyn shut her car door and the two headed up the trail.

"So are you officially moved back to Cali?" Ashton asked as they walked up an incline.

Caitlyn nodded, "Yeah we just finally got a house and stuff a month ago. It's good to be back to some place familiar you know?"

"I've lived in my house for almost as long as I can remember. I don't know what it would be like for my life to change so drastically and then I have to move to a new home where there's new people around," Ashton said as he kept his eyes focused on the ground he was climbing up, he didn't want to slip.

"It was hard, but I mean it got easier everyday."

Ashton nodded and walked along side Caitlyn, wanting to know more about how she was doing but not wanting to intrude on her personal life.

"Are you living with your brother?" Ashton asked. When he was younger, Ashton would always play with Caitlyn and her siblings since they only lived a few houses down.

"Brandon? Yeah we got the house together. You know it felt wrong not moving and trying to adjust to my old surroundings without him since we went through everything together. It was easier for us to get a house together anyways, after saving up from jobs and our foster parents helped a small amount," Caitlyn said as she side-smiled.

Ashton had known Caitlyn for a long time. They went to school together, and always walked home together since they lived so close. Ashton would go over to her house all the time. She had two brothers, Brandon and Derek. They were friends with Michael, Calum, and Luke too. They all got really close in middle school.

Well that was all before the accident happened.

One night, after Caitlyn's birthday party at her house, her family decided to go out to dinner. After spending the morning with all of Caitlyn's friends, her parents wanted to have some family time at a nice restaurant for Caitlyn's 13th. On their way back, they got into a bad accident. Only Caitlyn and Brandon survived. Their little brother Derek died later than night in the ER, while her parents died of impact.