Chapter18

Beth's Pov
A few days before...

I was on a flight to Mexico at the moment to see my sister's house. I got a phone call from her attorney to come down and sort out the arrangements she made in her will. I left without telling anyone. I've been avoiding Dean and everyone else in my life. I got off the cab and saw a big mansion, I rang the intercom. "Who is it?" A Hispanic voice said.

"Hi, my name is Bethany Parker. I was told to come here for an emergency," I say holding the button. The gate buzzes for me to enter. I head inside and I'm amazed by this house. Everything was Spainyard vintage. As I was looking at the chandelier someone clearing their throat caught my attention. I look to see a middle-aged man in his 50s in a grey suit. 

"Ms. Parker, please come with me," He motions his arm and I walk with him. We enter a dining hall. He sits at the table and looks at me to sit but I continue to stand feeling uneasy. 

"Have a seat please," He smiles politely. 

"What am I doing here?" I ask crossing my arms. 

He sighs, "She warned me you were a tough cookie," 

"Who did? And answer my question," I ask eyeing him.

"Your sister did and the reason why you're here is because your sister isn't dead," He informs me and moves slightly in his chair from the discomfort of me staring at him.

"How is she alive? And if she is why didn't you tell me over the phone?" I ask a bit confused and pissed. 

"It was part of her plan. She faked her death because she knew Cody would come after her. She's in your town as we speak tracking down Cody," He takes a tablet out to show me a live came from her car. 

I was baffled, confused, and hurt. What the f*ck. 

I take a deep breath as I pace the room. "So now what? I left thinking this was important. I need to help her. Cody is crazy. Plus I left people I love there. What if they get hurt?" I start to ramble. He got up and came towards me, making me stop in my track. "Ms. Parker, everything will be fine. We're flying you back as soon as possible but let her handle this, she knows what she's doing. She just wants you safe," He tries to reassure me with a soft smile. 

"How can you be sure I'm safe in-" I didn't finish my sentence as a brick flew through the window. I tackled the attorney down for coverage. Gunshots were fired. "Follow me," He shouted as we crawled out of the room. Once we did we down to the basement which was full of weapons and cars. "Take what you need, hurry" He shouted grabbing a gun. I grab four handguns with extra magazines and a switchblade. He entered a code to a big door and it opened into a tunnel. He motioned me to go in first, and he stepped inside after as he closed it. Lights turned on and he started running which of course made me follow him. He climbed a ladder and opened another door above us. He helps me up and we're in a different house. I look outside and there's a hanger. "Come on we have to make it the plane before they do," He breathes heavily. We continue to run to the hangar. As I climb up the stairs to the inside of the plane the attorney was paying someone. Next thing I knew there were gunshots. I look and it was men with guns and they had shot the attorney. F*ck. I jumped in and pulled the door shut. Gunshots were shot at the plane as it took off. 

I stayed awake the whole flight. I landed and thanked the pilot. I caught an Uber to a bar to collect my thoughts. As I'm at the bar I stare at the napkin in front of me. My mind is going crazy. This is f*cking crazy. I can't wrap my head around it. I need a plan. I chug my beer and as I do an older gentleman grabs my arm. "What are you doing?" I ask him.

"You're a pretty girl come home with me," He slurred and his breath reaked. With a disgusted face, I push him. "Don't a b*tch, come on" He pulls me roughly. "I said let go," I grunt and continue to fight him. A fight breaks out between us and he accidentally hits someone. Which then causes the whole bar to break out into a fight. Like some f*cking movie scene. Beer and alcohol were thrown around. I got a few punches in which felt good. Everyone froze when the men dressed in black and red come busting through the door. I duck hiding as they search through people. I crawl under the booth and lean my body up against the wall. "We're looking for this girl!" I heard a guy yell and I peek over to see him holding my picture. Mother f*cker.