Gifts - Chp 8

Sometimes I find myself living in a double life. One life is normality, well as normal as life can be when your mother is wasting away in her bed, your father is dead and you are left to support your family at a ripe young age of nineteen. But it is still normal, full of the basic roles and duties of life. And then there is my second life where I am delving into books searching for guidance and clues, I feel like a detective as I struggle to obtain even the smallest of clues as to what is happening to me. I find it frustrating, daunting and as a curse. But my Lucille, my Lucille finds it a challenge, an adventure. She thinks it is something to enjoy and as she says “just go with”.She reads the books with full attention and finds any detail helpful; I however need it in straight and clear print for it to be of any service. But apparently it is taking it the wrong way, I wish I could address it like my darling girl; she takes it on with a smile and finds it endearing. She looks at it like I look at her, with awe. – Jacob Iris

We had eventually arrived at school and Lucas has successfully achieved distracting me beyond means. He was truly a sweetheart, he stuck by my side all day ignoring all that tried to steal him away. My insides would literally squirm with a jealous streak I never knew I owned until now. And when a girl would out right obviously flirt with him he’d just blink and look away unfazed. I had even mentioned to him that I didn’t need a babysitter and if he wanted he could go off with them. He replied with a roll of his eyes and muttering “Typical.”

Whatever that meant.

The day went by smoothly in school, being bombarded with work and coupled with Lucas I didn’t have my mind stray anywhere towards the dark haunting thoughts at the back of my mind. I had locked them up tight to dwell over once I was alone. But until than I was going to bathe in the sanctuary that came with Lucas.

Lucas was a funny one to decode. His presence seemed to bring visions to me in a stronger sense and yet he also seemed to have the power to make me feel like a normal teenage girl in school and also had the ability to sweep me away to a world filled with happiness and pure bliss. He made me feel beautiful, loved and special.

Lucas had insisted after we had discovered that Keith and Stacey were off on a lunch date during lunch at some café that he’d take me out also and shout me lunch. During lunch break year eleven and twelve were allowed to leave school grounds for lunch and then come back. So that was how at lunch I found myself not at the normal café but a small coffee shop in Greenfly that was nestled on a corner. The shop was filled with browns and reds and it was cute and tiny, it felt homey and I instantly felt warm as a smile stayed plastered on my face. It was way better than the usual greasy café. This was cute, it would have been better if it was an actual date but I pushed that thought away noting that friendship with him was more than enough to be grateful for. Lucas just smiled happily the whole entire lunch as we chatted and laughed for once our conversations being about everything bar my crazy life.

I was discovering late in the afternoon as I sat besides Lucas in History in the back corner as I dribbled random rubbish on my page with my pen that there were a million and one reasons why I was utterly drunk on Lucas. He was protective, safe, sweet, funny, smart, happy, understanding, gorgeous, strong, sexy, he listened, he didn’t judge, he was Irish and honestly? The list could have gone on for years. I smiled happily to myself at that and continued bopping my head. Hearing a soft shivery chuckle I narrowed my eyes playfully at Lucas and he only rolled his eyes before poking me playfully in the ribs. I yelped softly causing him to chuckle more as more eyes swiveled around to us narrowed.

“I think I literally failed that test.” Lucas groaned as we left History the day over.

“Me too.” I mumbled stashing my texts books away.