Gifts - Chp 9

I wouldn’t know what you’d call it, it’s a rash honestly that sits on my skin in a rather peculiar spot. It’s nestled right on my breast bone and I am happy with the fact that the area of skin it’s on is not an area of skin that is shown to people. It’s lucky. I am worried though, is it contagious? An illness my people do not know of? Am I putting my people at risk? And most importantly what if it isn’t to do with “my” people but rather the person that I am? The people that hold….different capabilities like me. I gather I am not alone and one in my situation can only hope so they do not feel like a freak of nature so what is this red heated rash that’s inflamed and printed into my very form? Should I be alarmed? My one worry though is if Lucille shall find out will she freak and flee me out of fear of being contaminated? I do not wish to contaminate my angel, my Lucille deserves so much more and if doing so involves fleeing so she is not at risk of catching this so called rash then so be it. Anything for my Lucille. – Jacob Iris

Walking back from the hospital after quite some time Lucas allowed the silence to wrap around us in a blanket as my thoughts spiraled. It wasn’t that bad seeing Shelly I thought to myself honestly. It was the stepping out into the halls and walking around the hospital, knowing I was in a hospital. Being in Shelly’s room I could convince myself that I wasn’t in a hospital but rather elsewhere, anywhere my imagination wanted to conjure. Lucas was a major help also, his touch, smell and even presence was just beautiful. He had a way of taking me to a whole new world of comfort and warmth.

Reaching outside Nan’s house a paused and hesitated on the porch whilst yet again Lucas sat on the even ground. Hesitating again I asked “Do you…do you want to come in?” a whole new sense of nerves taking its toll on me.

Lucas shook his head “I can’t sorry.” He said stuffing his hands in his pants pockets and shrugging his shoulders.

“Oh.”

“Yeah, I mean if I'm taking you out tonight I have to get back home and change and all.” He said casually a smile playing along his lips.

“Yeah, I guess if- wait, what?” I asked my eyes growing; take me out?

He chuckled softly before sighing as he watched me; he stepped closer to me, our bodies a breath away, the only thing in between us being the porches railings. “You’ve been stressing yourself out so much that I think you need a break, some time to relax.” I just blinked stupidly at him, holding my breath. He reached up and gently pulled the hair from my eyes “Come out tonight with me? To res sports?” he murmured softly.

His breath washed over me like a drug leaving me blinking like a stoned fool, my eyes heavy and fluttering. I let out a ragged breath. “Okay.” I breathed through unmoving lips as I could practically taste him on my tongue, I shivered.

“I'll be back at six.” He murmured softly pulling back. He paused again and stepped back in again closer. He pressed his lips to my temple breathing in softly making me to shiver again and my breath to catch. He smiled against my skin “Be ready beautiful.”

Pulling back he made his way back up the garden path and out of Nan’s little front gate and out of sight. Finally relaxing I let out a ragged sigh and fell forward onto railings using them as support.

I was going to need it.

***

Walking inside I noted it was four thirty; I still had a bit of time. Res sports or known fully was residential sports. It was our little town’s sport system were every fortnight on a Wednesday we played against neighboring towns; we’d play more than one game at a time and a variety of sports. It wasn’t strict or competitive; you could play one week and not the next. Every Monday paper they’d have a list of the times and sports for this week and you could decide on whether you wanted to play based on if you were any good at the sports played that night. Since Greenfly was in the middle of all neighboring towns we’d all agreed that we’d all meet half way and play on our town’s area of two fields and a couple more courts and such surrounding it, besides I facilities were the best. It wasn’t just a sports even though, it was a big social one too.