Gifts - Chp 42

Oh what a treasure it is to be able to write these words again in a contemplative scrawl rather than in ragged earnest. I did not believe I’d ever be able to return to the warmth and sanctuary in which I call home. I returned home only this morning once I’d been deemed innocent and held not responsible for Lucille’s father’s death, they in turn arrested Edmund. Lucille had clung to me like her life depended on it and as if I was all she had and in reality I was, her mother had already passed and now she had lost her father. She hadn’t left my side all morning afraid I’d disappear from sight. I held her with the same possessive need and adore, spending those painstakingly torturous nights in that cell my life and my purpose became crystal clear like those clichéd novel where in the glory of a new day as the sunrises you realise just what exactly is anchoring to this very earth’s floor. The answer was easy, simple; my sweet Lucille. There was no need for acceptance or permission from her father or even anyone else in society, we loved each other and that was really all that mattered. I write now with a euphoric grin upon my own face as Lucille and I tonight plan to be wed in secret of my own home – our home. My Lucille tells me it doesn’t matter that she hasn’t got the riches gown of all time or that her father is not there to give her away, all that matters is that we spend the rest of our lives together. I vow though, with my last dying breath, that I’ll keep her safe and bathe her in the riches of treasure that she deserves. – Jacob Iris

“Sweetheart, are you still there?” a concerned Lucas asked through the phone, my mobile pinned to my ear by my awkwardly raised shoulder.

“What? Oh, yeah.” I answered back distantly as pursing my lips I continued scanning across the page.

“Where are you?” Lucas asked curiously through the phone.

“The…library.” I answered slowly as I struggled to continue reading what was on the screen in front of me whilst also maintaining somewhat of a conversation with my boyfriend.

“Again? Why didn’t you tell me, we could have gone together?” Lucas said sounding disproving.

I shouldn’t be surprised though, these days even if I went down the store alone Lucas gave me a scolding. Not that necessarily I could blame them, it’d been only a week since my Nan’s attack and everything was still close to home. This time it was different to the last attack that occurred with Lucas, that time afterwards we felt stronger having being more aware of the people around us and making stronger friends, we were practicing self-defense and not to mention it helped knowing your best friends boyfriend is a boy friend. The last attack we had made progress, this time we had nothing and it left us hastily hunting for answers and clues as fear struck us.

Over the week things had changed, Nan was still at hospital and I think she would be for a while longer too. Her injuries were for at her age server enough and although I’d be there to help I also had school to attend and no one – doctors included – liked the idea of her home alone if something was to happen. I certainly didn’t mind though, I felt she was safer at the hospital so I pushed for her to stay there as long as possible. Not to mention with her not home she didn’t become suspicious with all my late night “study sessions” with the group in the lounge room and all the scattered papers and notes left lying around.

Aside school I’d thrown myself into hunting and researching, trying to find as many links to my mysterious family and still looking through pop’s belongings and Jacob’s journal. More than ever I felt this dire need to find answers and finish this, it not only seemed like a life or death situation but scarily enough it was a life or death situation. Lucas found me countless nights absorbed in reading and researching that school was becoming neglected and hours were going where I wasn’t eating or passing out where I was researching. The library became a second home and I somehow preferred it after that message on the bathroom mirror at home, the reminder made home suddenly feel less secure and safe.