IRIS's Successor Boys

The kitchen was on the first level of the house. It was probably four times the size of the old orphanage's kitchen. All the cabinets were white while the counters, granite. It probably had every appliance you would ever need when cooking, baking, etc. To the right side was a door that led to where the garden was. Every corner of this mansion was beautiful...

The oven was turning into a pretty orange color as Macy's apple pie was getting baked. Serena's head was lingering over the big pot with her own recipe of Mozzarella Chicken soup that she loved to make. Since I was not a good cook, my job was to toss the salad in a huge bowl. Cooking dinner for a big family sure was getting messy. 

"Macy! Pass me the seasonings please?" Serena shouted at Macy who was by the fridge looking for some missing ingredients.

"Here," She picked up the jar of seasonings and handed it to Serena. "Lily didn't go groceries shopping this week or what? There's nothing in here."

"What are you missing?" Serena asked but kept her eyes fixed on her pot of soup.

"Most of the ingredients I need for my dish!" She whined. "I want to make Baked Lemon Grass Salmon..."

"Because it's Brad's favorite dish?" Serena looked over at Macy. "Did you plan on bringing some to him tomorrow?"

"No!" Macy's cheeks turned bright red at Serena's tease. "Serena, stop!"

"Who is Brad...?" Curiosity overtook and I stopped tossing the salad to chime into the conversation. "Macy's boyfriend?"

"In her dreams, he is." Serena raised her eyebrows at Macy, whose cheeks were still red as a tomato. "Macy has a huge crush on Brad, ever since the 7th grade!"

"SERENA!" Macy shrieked and stomped her legs. "I do not have a crush on him! We've been best friends since Kindergarden!"

"Right, right..." Serena rolled her eyes before really stopping the teasing. "Back to your apple pie, Mace."

"You won't be getting a piece." Macy snickered grumpily. "Your consequence of being a butt."

"Colton and Elijah will destroy the whole thing and probably lick it clean before I even have a chance of touching it. They always do!" Serena put a handful of seasoning into her pot of soup before turning around, opening the cabinets to look for something.

"Do you guys need any help?" Wren's voice made me shiver. He was like a completely different person to me than he was to every one else. What did I ever do wrong?

"We're almost done," Macy answered, not even looking up at him. "Why don't you and Pennie go set the table?"

Wren walked past me without acknowledging my presence. He just went straight to the cabinet and took out two stacks of plates, picking one up before heading out to the veranda. I'm guessing we're eating outside.

I walked over and carried the other stack of plates to follow Wren outside. He set the plates down on the big outdoor table in the middle of the small part of the Monrova's huge garden. The eating area had a cement area big enough for the big table and moving room for the chairs and for walking around.

Wren and I set the plates out in silence, I didn't even look up at him, afraid of another "attack". I had no idea why he was so mean, but I didn't care to find out either. He walked back and forth, carrying utencils and glasses as well as a few bottles of different juices.

I take the utencils and set them neatly on top of each plate, the breeze makes me want to go swimming. It's hot, but the cool breeze balances the temperature, making it just perfect for eating outside. I wonder if they eat out here a lot because we hardly get to eat outside at the orphanage even though the kids always beg Miss Ester to go outside and eat.