Match Point

The ocean breeze hits my skin while the cold, wet sand touches my feet and attaches itself onto my toes. Who would ever think it would be so cold at night here on the island when it's always above a hundred degrees in the day time?

The sound of the waves crashing against the rocks brings excitement to my heart as I realize they and I share a similarity through the pain we both must be feeling. I bet they feel the joy when returning to the shores, yet the pain from the rocks must be unexplainably painful.

Even though I feel the warm, tingly sensation in my heart that Wren and I are back together and we have now returned to the good stage we were in before, I also feel the aching pain when thinking of Colton and what happened at the club a few nights ago.

I think I might have the case of insomnia, after a few nights of not sleeping until four or five in the morning. I feel fully recovered from my near-death experience last week; so recovered that it now feels like a nightmare rather than a real experience.

Colton hasn't talked to me for days; he hasn't even glanced at me whenever our group goes anywhere together. And wherever he goes, there are always a bunch of girls staring and whispering while ogling their eyes at him. Colton seems to love the attention because he always smirk and gives them the killer player smile of his that always get the girls to squeak.

Wren has been stopping by my room almost every night to play with Rosie then put her to bed while spending time with me and working on his big project for IRIS at the same time. He hasn't been able to go out with us much since Grandfather has trusted him with one of the most important projects of the year. Even though Colton is supposed to be the official successor, Grandfather has been trusting Wren with all of the important paper work as well as projects and ambassador meetings.

The moon is so bright and full tonight... In the jet black night sky, the moon looks like it's the light at the end of a tunnel. Its light is shining and dancing on the surface of the ocean, reflecting on the waves and twirl around as the water moves.

"Pennie?" Elijah's voice makes me jump, "It's like two o'clock at night... What are you doing out here all by yourself?"

"I can ask the same for you, Eli," I smile at him as he settles himself down on the sand next to me, "Can't sleep?"

"Yeah... Are you an insomniac, too?" He chuckles, "Great, now I have a friend. Everyone in the house sleeps like pigs."

"So, what brings you here, buddy?" I ask. Elijah looks much different under the moonlight than how I usually see him in the day time. He's much calmer and his face seems to have a different expression.

"I find things to do to kill time until I get sleepy..." He answers, "Pens, how are you?"

"I feel a lot better than I did last week," I reply, "My lungs don't feel as if they're on fire anymore. Thank you for saving both mine and Colton's lives."

"I meant how are you, emotionally," He looks at the far horizon, "You seem to be emotionally drained most of the time and it makes me feel uneasy. You deserve to be happy, Pens."

"Oh, emotionally..." I look at him then at the sand, "I don't know, to be honest. I feel fine, but there's always that one patch I have to walk through every day whenever I see Colton... I think it's the patch of guilt..."

"You did nothing wrong," Eli says quietly, "He's just angry at himself for not being good enough to win you from Wren. Can you imagine always having a perfect role model to live up to?"

"But, I don't understand, why would Colton ever have to live up to Wren?" Colton seems so good at everything... What is it about Wren that makes Colton so insecure about himself...