Serena's Intervention

"Pennie," A sudden knock on the door wakes me up, "It's Serena. May I come in?"

I open my eyes and glance at the clock to see it's already almost 4 in the afternoon. I have been asleep for nearly three hours! I walk over to the door and open it to see a worried looking Serena who happens to still be in her dance uniform.

"Serena?" I yawn, "What's the matter?"

"I should be the one asking you that question, Pens." She looks at me with the most concerned eyes, "May I come in..."

"Oh, of course, sorry..." I open the door wider, allowing her to come in.

"Pennie, you know you're like a younger sister to me," She starts as she takes a seat on the sofa, "I hope you feel the same way toward me..."

"Of course, I do," I smile at her, "I consider you as my older sister, too, Serena. What's wrong?"

"Anne told me she saw you ran out of the library crying," She whispers, "What's wrong?"

"Oh, that..." I answer, looking down at the ground, "I... Um, well..."

"Sisters don't have secrets, Pens... I'm here for you... I hope you know that..." She whispers to me and takes my hand in hers, "Please, Pens. This is killing me... You have obviously been crying..."

Tears start to flow out again and I start to tremble thinking about Wren's words from earlier. I just forced myself to forget about it but now, how can I...?

"Is it about Wrenier...?" She asks softly, "Did he do something to you...?"

"No..." I manage to let the word out, "He..."

My eyes start to get blurry and my vision becomes unclear as I try to explain to Serena what happened and why I got so upset. As I tell her the story, I realize I'm unclear about the reason why I got upset myself... I don't understand why I feel so hollow and hurt from Wren's words when I shouldn't even mind. I don't want to care, I shouldn't let his words affect me, but they do, a lot...

"Pennie..." She gasps quietly, "You're not falling for Wren... are you...?"

"Falling?" I ask her; what is falling...? What does that even mean...

"As in, you like him! You have feelings for him that you can't seem to explain and you probably can't even understand why you feel that way for him." She explains, "You think about him a lot, even when you don't mean to, he just pops into your head...."

"Well... He does, but I think it's because he treats me badly..." I re-think about all those times when I couldn't help but wonder where he was when he didn't show up to meals or when I didn't see him around the house.

"No, Pennie... It's how falling feels like... You like him, Pens..." She starts to smile, "As exciting and sweet as this is, I still want to punch Wren in the nuts for what he said."

"No, don't... Please..." I whisper, "I shouldn't be this upset... I shouldn't let him get me down like this..."

"Pennie..." She whispers back, "It's not like you can help it, my dear..."

"Serena... Why do I feel so hollow inside right now..." I start to cry again, harder this time, "Please make it stop. I don't like it... It doesn't feel good at all..."

"I wish there was something I could do..." She pulls me into her arms and pats my back softly, "Pennie, it's painful because he matters and because you actually care about him and what he thinks of you..."

"What..." I pull myself away to look at her face, "What do you mean...."

"Like I said, Pens, you like Wren. Even though he doesn't feel the same way, you can't just shut off your feelings..." She sighs and touches my cheeks with her warm hands, "Pens, I'm here if you need me, okay? I'm always here. I'll help you get through this, alright?"

I nod slowly as I try to acknowledge every word she just said... I like Wren....? I have never liked anyone before in my life... How did I... How did I... know... what to do or how to like... Wren...? Nothing makes sense... I'm supposed to be engaged to Colton... How can I have feelings for his older TWIN...? Pennie... you are the worst person alive...

"Serena..." I whisper, "How do I... mute... those odd feelings..."

"Mute...?" She looks at me confused and lost, like I just spoke to her in a foreign language.

"How do I... not... show my feelings to Wren..." I whisper again, "So he'll never know and hates me for liking him..."

"Well, when you see him... what is the first thing you notice?" She asks.

"His eyes..." I smile a bit, thinking about how beautiful and captivating Wren's eyes are and mentally slap myself for doing so.

"From now on, everytime you see him, try to not look into his eyes," She says, "Try to distract yourself from seeing him or being alone with him."

"And then the strange feelings will go away...?" I ask, making a mental note to myself on everything Serena just told me. I have to avoid Wren and his captivating eyes at all cost from now on, got it...

"They will, eventually, Pens..." She sighs again and pulls me into another hug and pats my head softly, "I'm here for you, Pennie... Anytime."

It sure does feel a lot better to have someone... Especially someone like Serena who doesn't ask me questions like why I like Wren or when I started to like him... Because if she, or anyone, were to ask me those questions, I would freeze up because I honestly don't know how to answer them... Why do I  like Wren... I feel like if I had to think about this, a million of suggestions should pop into my head but nothing appears... Not a single thing... When did I start to like Wren... I didn't even know what liking someone means until now that Serena just described and explained it to me so how do I know when I started to "like" the boy that hates my guts...?

After dinner, which Wren did another no show, I have been finishing up all my books that I borrowed from the main library. Acting out of instincts, I close the last book and make my way to the door, heading to the Main Library.

Suddenly, I stop dead in my track as soon as I start to press on to the door knob of the library to open the doors. Being in the library increases my chance of seeing Wren and being alone with him, the exact two things Serena said not to do.

Like out of natural habit, a tear rolls down my cheek as I gasp softly and wipe it away as fast as I could like someone would see it if I don't... Then I realize... I was thinking of him again...

Pennie... Why would you torment yourself like this? Just simply stop thinking about him...

I let my hand falls from the door knob and walks back to my room as I hear the library door opens. Afraid of who is standing there, I restrain myself by constantly telling my brain to not let my head turns around and my eyes to wander back to see if it's Wren.

As soon as I make it to my room, I close the door and rest my body against it. I exhale hard as I realize I have been holding it in again like I always do when I'm nervous. As tears roll down my cheeks again, I realize not thinking about Wren is a lot harder than it sounds...