Library Reunion

The next few weeks of school were the same. With the nonstop whispers and stares. When was everyone going to stop talking about me like I wasn't in the room...

"Welcome home, young masters and misses." Anne greeted us at the front doors, "Your guys' afternoon snacks are ready in the dining room; Master Wren just got back from the company and is now eating in there too."

Wren wasn't at school today. Again.

"Anne, you know, you're my biggest source of happiness." Elijah smiled at Anne. "Besides my beautiful girlfriend of course."

"Ouch, that hurts." Colton playfully hit his chest with his fist. "Deep in here, Eli."

"Your fault for not being pretty and giving me delicious food everyday." Elijah shrugged. "Plus, that's what your fiancee is for, right?"

"Pennie, you like me, right?" Colton turned around and pouted his lips.

"Of course, I do." I smiled back at him. It was true. I did like Colton, just not in the way a normal fiancee would.

Wren was sitting with his back facing the doors of the dining room. But even from the back, I could tell he must have been exhausted and worn out, has he been working day and night...? Didn't he know when to rest?

"Aye, my man, Wrenier." Elijah smacked Wren's back. "I haven't seen you in ages."

"Leave me alone, Eli. I'm tired." Wren shrugged off Eli's hand.

"Well. You look awful." Colton shook his head at his brother. "What the hell have you been up to anyway?"

"The company. Work. Work. And work." Wren answers slowly, pausing after every word. "Congratulations on the big news, big brother and soon to be big sister in-law."

"Thanks for your blessing, sweet little brother." Colton replied sarcastically.

Even though everything looked nice and calm, I could sense the tension between the twins. Wren was nothing like Colton. He was much more reserved and to himself. It was no surprise that they didn't get along.

Sometimes, I just wanted to jump in front of him and straight out asked him why he hated me so much, but I always had to refrain myself because that was just plainly creepy. And a part of me didn't want to know.

"See you guys around." And that was one of our very few instances of running into Wren.

"Where are you going?" Elijah called out to Wren, who was walking away.

"To take a nap before Grandfather calls me back to the company for the rest of the day." Wren replied boringly as he was leaving.

"What's with him? He's never around anymore." Macy sounded irritated. "Is he on his period or what?"

If anything, Wren should have been in a better mood now that the engagement was off. Even I was taken back by his moodiness. Wren was complicated. Too complicated.

While Colton was smooth sailing.

Smooth sailing was good, Pennie. Stop wondering about the waves and just be happy with the smooth sailing.

***

Mrs. Valencia, my waltz teacher, was probably exhausted and near to giving up on me. I was born with no dancing skills I guess. I kept on falling everytime she asks me to follow her for the whirling part of the waltz. Colton is sitting in the audience of the theater room. I never knew there was a stage up here, a really big one in fact.