A Backfired Plan

As if  avoiding him wasn't already hard enough. Wren decided to show up to school the next day. And to make it even worse, our lockers were only a few feet away from one another.

"Pennie." His voice made my heart feel funny. It was that stupid feeling again.

"Wren." I put my books in my locker, avoiding meeting his eyes. Or looking over at him.

"Pennie, look, I'm sor-" He walked closer to me but before he could finish, I cut him off.

"I get it, Wren." I sighed, still not meeting his gaze. "You hate me. I get it, I will stay far away from you. Whatever I did, I'm sorry."

With that, I walked away. Not wanting him to see how much those words took out of me. I hated that he affected me this much. I hated that I somehow, somewhere fell for him.

***

After hours of studying and trying to catch up, my stomach growled.  I made my way down to the kitchen as I realized the kitchen staff probably left since it was nearly 11 PM, which meant I was on my own for dinner.

Opening all the cabins, I finally found a good size pan to fry the eggs with and pour some oil onto it while turning on the stove. Everything here although looks different than the things we used at the Orphanage, the way to use them is still similar.

I think I used too much oil because as soon as I crack the eggs open and pour them onto the pan, the oil starts to sizzle up and jump onto my arm, making me yelp. I hold on to my now burnt lower arm and try to turn off the fire without getting any oil on my other arm.

"Here, I got it," Wren appears out of nowhere and runs over to turn the fire off, "What did you do?!"

Great, just great. So much for trying to avoid you...

"I-" I start to explain myself but shut up as soon as Wren touches my burnt arm and lifts it up to his eyes as he starts to examine the burnt spot.

"You got burnt pretty bad here but no bubbles, so I think it's not that bad," He looks at my burnt spot intensely before grabbing my lower arm and drag me over to the sink.

"What ar-" I yelp out in pain again as he turns on the water and puts my arm under it but I stop as it starts to feel nice under the cold water of the sink.

"Why are you so careless..." His calm and soothing voice sends chills down my neck, "Pennie..."

"I got hungry..." I frown, still trying to avoid looking up at him, afraid of what feelings I'd get from it.

"You should have called for Anne..." He whispers as he inches closer to me, so close that I could feel his breathe on my neck, "You dumb bell."

I frown again as he insults me, of course, of course he would. Typical, typical Wren and Pennie moment. Really, this is nothing new.

"Thanks," I mutter back at him, "I know I'm dumb."

"Well, why else would you burn yourself from making eggs..." He chuckles a bit, "Dumb bell."

He turns off the sink water and leaves my arm on the counter before walking to the cabin and pull out a new roll of napkins. He dabs the napkins on my arms and starts to dab carefully as he reaches the bright red spot on my lower arm that seems to have skin peeling off of it.

"Thank you," I whisper, staring at his face from above and realizing how fast my heart is beating. My heart is thumping so loud and so fast that I actually am worrying about when it'd pop right out of my chest.