Boulders of Decisions

"Goodmorning, sweet heart," Dad kisses my forehead before I walk over to my seat in between Serena and Macy. Serena eyes me up and down suspiciously before smiling at me.

"Goodmorning, everyone," I smile at everyone and pick up my fork, trying my hardest to not glance over at Wren and see how he's doing.

"So, Ariella, you have your dress fitting today after school for the upcoming ceremony," Grandfather says, "Colton, escort her there, will you?"

"Yes, Grandfather," He smiles at Grandfather before giving me a big smile, "Sure am lookin' forward to it."

I glance over Wren and he doesn't look happy with it at all; like a helpless puppy... The sight tears my heart apart. I need to go talk to Grandfather and Dad; maybe if I tell them what Wren and I have and that I don't feel anything for Colton besides feelings of an older brother, they'll understand and everything will be okay...

"No, I'll see her there," Dad speaks up, "I need to spend some quality time with my daughter. Is that alright with you, Colton?"

"Of course, Zach. She's all yours." He smiled.

Wren asked to be excused to leave for the company while everyone went to school. All I could think about all day was Wren and kept replaying images of us together in my head.

"Good evening, Dad," I smile as I open the doors to the office where Dad was sitting at the waiting lounge with the Dr. Kreck, the Principal, "Sorry had to make you wait. I had to stop by my locker to grab my textbooks for homework,"

"It's no problem, sweetheart," He smiles, "Dr. Kreck and I were having a conversation about the curriculum this year,"

"It's really an honor to be Principal of Woodson," He nods and smiles at my Dad, "Thank you, Mr. Monrova for trusting me with this position and giving me a chance,"

"Oh, Paul, how long have we been friends?" Dad smiles back as he pats Dr. Kreck on the back, "I trust you more than anyone,"

"It's good you're home, Miss Monrova," Dr. Kreck looks over at me, "Your old man here always talk about you and how much he missed you..."

"I'm glad to be home, too," I nod in respect and smile. Dr. Kreck is apparently Dad's old buddies throughout high school and college. They went through a lot together and when Grandfather decided to build Woodson High for his grandkids, Dad suggested Dr. Kreck as the Principal because of how much experience the guy had under his sleeves as an educator, as well as a leader.

"Well, I won't hold you two back any longer," He says, "You are excused, Ariella. Have a nice day, Zach."

"Same to you, Paul," Dad chuckles and the two pull each other into a slight man hug, making me giggle quietly.

"So, Pennie, are you excited for the ceremony?" Dad asks as soon as we pull out of Woodson's parking lot and onto Main Street. Woodson High itself already looks fancy enough, but the fact that it's probably triple the size of my old high school makes me shutter at its prestigiousness and fanciness.

"I'm not sure how to feel about it, Dad..." I answer honestly, "I really didn't see any of it coming..."

"I heard Grandfather originally put Wrenier and you together, not Colton and you," He sighs, "I didn't see this coming either, Pennie..."

"I know, Dad..." I smile at him weakly, "It's just... overwhelming..."

"I can see how Wren looks at you at the dinner every night as well as at breakfast every morning," He chuckles, "I know that look... Because I used to look at your Mom that way... People just see right through it."