Still A Vanderbilt

"I'm terrified for the Chemistry, exam, Pennie..." Macy sighs as we walk down the hall, the following Tuesday, "Even though I've been studying for a weeks now..."

"Macy, I think you will be fine," I smile at her, "Haven't you been studying with Wren?"

"I have because Zach asked Wren to tutor me since he aced Chemistry without even trying last year..." She sighs again, "The smart genes just skipped me..."

"That's not true, Mace," I reply without thinking, "You're just as smart as Colton and Wren, if not, smarter."

"What a nice, comforting thing to tell me," She giggles a bit, "So, have you and Colton developed any feelings for each other yet?"

"No..." I answer; a part of me really want to just go ahead and tell Macy that the person I like was Wren, and not Colton.

Ever since that night of the tree house, I haven't seen Wren around the house or at school because Grandfather has been asking Wren to help out at the company almost everyday lately. He has been missing a few days at school, causing him to have to study on his own at home after he gets home from work.

"Well, I think you two will deve-" As Macy is about to continue incessantly mumbling on and on about how Colton and I need to spend more time together, Elijah comes charging right at us, panicking like he has just sprinted a mile.

"Guys!" He shouts, "Wren, Wren, he, uh," He hyperventilates and puts his hands on his knees with his head down, trying to catch his breath.

"Wren what?" I ask, "What happened, Elijah?"

"Wren collapsed when he got home from the company this morning," Elijah looks up at me, "Grandfather and Zach just notified me. They said we don't have to come home but if we want to, we can."

"My brother collapsed!?" Macy shouts, "Have you told Colton!?"

"Colton is already on his way home," Elijah gasps, "Your parents are on their way, too. They'll be joining us for dinner or something."

"Where is the car?!" My eyes move from Elijah to Macy, "We need to go see him!"

"It's out front," He answers, "Come on, let's go!"

As Elijah and Macy talk about all the possibilities of why Wren could have collapsed, I stare at the window, mortified, thinking about his condition. He was just fine the night we... Oh, Pennie, why are you thinking about that night? Wren collapsed...

"Pens," Elijah's hand startles me, "Wren will be alright, I know it."

"I hope so..." I whisper back, not knowing what to expect once I see him.

"All you kids came home?!" Dad's eyes widen as he sees us walk in Wren's bedroom doors, "All of you!?"

"We were too worried to focus, Zach..." Macy looks like she's about to tear up, "Where is my brother...? Is he okay....? Is he-"

"Mace, Wren is fine. The doctor is seeing him right now; we all have to wait out here." Dad pulls Macy into an embrace, commiserating her.

Poor Macy... Even though they all act cold to each other and even though Wren and Colton always have an enmity look on their faces, they all care about each other more than anyone could ever imagine, like how I care about Rosie.

"Mr. Monrova," An old man in the most formal looking sweater walks out and closes the door behind him, "Young Master Vanderbilt collapsed due to not getting enough rest and lacking nutrients in his daily diet. There's absolutely nothing to worry about, it's nothing morbid. He'll get better in a few days with lots of rest, fluid and food."