Dark Knight in Shining Armor

It has been a month and a half since our return from the Bahamas and the house has been almost eerily quiet without Colton Vanderbilt's asshole jokes and obnoxious voice. Even though Grandfather has already given him the go ahead to stay here at the house with us even though he will not be the chosen successor as well as my fiancé.

After Wren and I had a talk with my Dad and Grandfather, Wren has been called to the company for extended hours of work on projects almost every day and I hardly ever get glimpses of him at home and when I do, he's almost always tired.

It feels like there are actual cracks on my heart every time I see the bags under Wren's eyes and his forced "I'm doing okay" look every time I look at him at the dinner table. Grandfather seems to be happy with the outcome of things, of course, because I know he has always wanted Wren to be the chosen one. My Dad seems to be extremely busy these days as well, finalizing the end of the year's report for the company and helping Wren out with his transition into the CEO chair.

Macy has been spending almost every second of her time in the library at home and then at school, studying for her hardest class, Chemistry. The sadness in her eyes is something I can understand because it's the feeling of not being able to see her oldest brother as often as she likes to. Macy hasn't been as talkative and sassy as she used to be and Colton Vanderbilt has became the most sensitive subject for the whole family to talk about.

In the mist of it all, I feel like it's mainly my fault that Colton isn't here. When he left, he took parts of every one's happiness with him.

"Miss," The knock on the door nearly made me jump to my feet as I turn around and realize it's Anne, "Dinner is going to be ready in ten minutes and the table has been set."

"Thank you, Anne," I smile at her, "Is everyone home?"

"Oh yes," She widens her brown eyes, "Every one is getting ready for dinner as well; even Young Master Wren is on his way home for dinner tonight."

The sound of his name makes my heart rises and falls a lot faster than its normal pace, uncontrollably takes over my lips and widens them to a smile. He's coming home a lot earlier than usual tonight, I'm guessing it's because it's finally the weekend.

"Hi, pretty," That musky, sweet voice is the sound I long for in my dreams and always imagine inside my heart, "How is your day going?" Turning around, I see a tired looking, but still extremely handsome Wren in his white collared shirt, leaning against the door frame, smiling sheepishly at me.

"Hi, handsome," I can't imagine how much of a sick love puppy I sound like right now, "I missed you, a bit more than often today."

"Oh, is that so?" He walks toward me, and under the light, Wren looks a lot more tired than I realized. I can't imagine the stress he's going under right now, shutting my body down with the helpless feeling, unable to help him ease any of it.

"How are you?" I hug him, holding onto him as tight as I could, "Talk to me..."

"Pennie, I'm fine," He rubs my back and kisses the side of my head, "It's really complicated at the company right now and it's not something I want to stress you out about, so I can handle this on my own."

"Wren..." I murmur, "I feel so helpless... I can't do anything..."

"You holding me like this eases more stress than you'd ever know, Pennie..." He sighs and kisses my shoulder blade, "You, just having you here, is more than enough..."

Wren takes my hand and we walk outside to the garden, and we walk off the main path, to the secret way to the treehouse, our  treehouse. I don't know about Wren, but I haven't been here since the time Wren and I fought before our vacation trip. Because it's not a main road, the way there is hardly lit with only a few lights here and there, making it extremely scary to walk, but holding onto Wren's hand, there's not a fear inside of me.