Dream Bound - Chapter Three

Dream Bound

                                       Chapter Three

                                            day two

“Ivy,” Colton acknowledged. I barely glanced at the array of food on the kitchen table as I skirted around it, bee-lining for the fridge. Roughly, Colton’s shoulder bumped mine as he sidestepped out of my way.

I opened the fridge, yanking out the carton of orange juice. Popping the tab, I lifted the carton to my lips. From the corner of my eye, I could see Colton looking straight at me. I lowered the carton, annoyed. “What?”

“Good morning to you, too,” he muttered, leaning up against the counter. “Eat up, we have a long day ahead of us.” I snorted in response, rolling my eyes as I sat myself down. In truth, my stomach grumbled quite loudly at the sight of food before me.

“What do you mean we have a long day ahead of us?” I inquired, shoveling in bites of food. It was hot, and singed my tongue, but I relished in the sweet aromas.

Colton sat back in his chair, studying me. “What, you planned to stay here?” Lifting his hands, he indicated my home around us, and snorted a little. “We’ve got the whole world to ourselves, might as well make the most of it.”

I nearly choked on my pancakes. He continued to watch me as I ate, his eyes never leaving my face. I found it a little weird, but spoke nothing of it. As I finished, he waved his hand in dismissal at the mess on the table. He motioned for me to stand, and when I did, he led me outside. The morning air was crisp and fresh. I took a few deep breaths, attempting to clear my sleep-ridden brain.

“Wow,” I commented, eyeing the black Mercedes perched in my driveway. “This yours?” He nodded, fishing a set of keys from his pocket.

“I don’t think we’ll be back in Southport for a while, is there anything you need?” I paused to think for a moment, and nodded quickly. Without waiting for his response, I ran back into the house and up to my room. My track jumper was hanging over my door, and I snatched it down. The words Ivy’s Goodies were sprawled across the back, and I blushed a little, having recalled Colton reading them aloud yesterday.

Shifting a little, I caught site of the calendar sat on my bed, still opened to December. The red check marks smiled up at me, maliciously bright. I grabbed it and closed it, tucking it under my arm. There. I supposed I didn’t need much else. Besides, we’d be back soon, hopefully.

Outside, I locked my house up and tucked the key under my bra strap. When I joined Colton in the Mercedes, he had it up and running. The seat rumbled a bit as I sat, reaching out to pull the door shut.

“Ready now?” Colton smirked, eyeing the small clutches in my hands. Grimacing, I nodded and settled myself in. Brisk air shot out from the air vents, sweeping over my bare skin.

“Do you need that on?” I snapped. “It’s too cold for that.” I reached over and cranked the dial the opposite way. Colton rolled his eyes and smacked my hand out of the way, twisting it back over.

“The car has to heat up first, smart one,” he snapped back. I ground my teeth together, working my jaw as I glared out the window shield. Again, why did I agree to come with this idiot? I wasn’t exactly sure.

 * * *

We’d been driving a total of five hours. I needed to pee, badly.

“Where are we going?” I complained, shifting my weight from one leg to the other.