Dream Bound - Chapter Eleven

Dream Bound

                                  Chapter Eleven

                                        day five

    “What the hell are you doing?” a rough voice snapped. I knew that voice too well. Glancing down, I saw his wrist. My eyes slid up, following the length of his arm, all the way up to his shoulder. Finally, his face.

    Like the sky above our heads, his eyes were an aphotic color. Nothing reflected in his irises. The colors blended together as one, making it impossible to see beyond what lay in the surface. Per usual, he was a blank slate.

    I pulled myself from his grip.

    “I could ask you the same thing,” I retorted. My voice came out sharper than intended, but he was the one who needed the interrogation. Not me.

    His arms folded across his chest, jaw clenched. “I asked you--”

    “Were you looking for your necklace?” I interrupted, pleased with the shocked expression on his face. For a moment, he said nothing.

    “How did you--?” A look crossed his face as he cut himself off with a swear. His gaze pulled from mine as he quickly turned on his heel.

    This time on foot, he took off in the opposite direction. I hurried after him, barely able to keep up with his accelerated pace.

    “Look, you left it in the...” I trailed off, feeling a wave of uncertainty. He would figure it out, I was sure of, but did I want to be the one to tell him? It was an obvious answer. No.

    He jangled his keys, thumb hovering over the lock button. I strode past him, pulling open the passenger door. Silently, I swept my arm out, inviting him to climb inside.

    He shot me a look as he did, pulling the box close to his chest when he emerged.

    “I’m guessing you went through this.” It was a statement, not a question.

    I was unable to look him in the eye as a ball of guilt lodged in my throat when I swallowed.

    “I was bored, and you left me all alone, so--”

    “Don’t try to pin this on me.” He gave me another look, this one that said I had taken a step too far.

    Backing down, I tried a different approach, “Where did you go, Colton?”

    Ignoring my question, he popped the lid open. After a quick look inside, he appeared to be relieved.

    “There’s a necklace, a picture and a goose feather,” I muttered. “Big deal.” When I looked up, his eyes were glittering with a meaning I couldn’t comprehend.

    “A goose feather?” he repeated. Amidst the tension, he almost looked amused.

    “Am I off the hook?” I asked riskily, my voice catching in my nervousness.

    “No.” He smirked, but I could still see the irritation lingering on his face. My heart clenched with emotion. I hadn’t expected him to get so defensive over something like this. Maybe if I had rifled through his belongings in his room, or his home for that matter. But a box? It was ridiculous.

    “Is there anything I can do to make it up to you?” I felt it wasn’t in my place to ask that question, considering he was the one who had left so suddenly, only to return hours later.