Dream Bound - Chapter Twenty-six

Dream Bound

                       Chapter twenty-six

                          day thirty-two

Colton stayed. It didn’t take a whole lot of convincing, as I had thought it would when he spared me with that wounded look of his. I took full responsibility for any remaining flames between us. The inferno that blazed had come from misgivings, he had said. We both knew it was much more than misunderstandings. Whether it was because one of us didn’t want to admit that or not. It ran deeper than that. Colton was hiding secrets from me. Not because he was a jerk or anything, but because he had the archangels watching over him. I was holding back, not because I didn’t trust Colton, but because we had these last few days to figure everything out. In the past thirty some days, I had learned several lessons. Some of which could be of valuable use later on on life. No matter the amount of time given, it can take eternities to truly get to know someone. To pull apart every fiber and every thread, and break them down piece by piece. Even then, you might skip over something. If you truly want to feel that you know someone better than you know yourself, it’s best that you don’t skip over the little things. Many of us feel that if we focus on the important things, such as full names and ages, we don’t need to zero in on the rest.

    In my situation, that wasn’t exactly the case. Especially when you’re playing the role of a victim with amnesia. When you have to take on each day of your limited amount of time, coming face to face with a black wall that provides nothing but emptiness. When the person you’re figuring out is a fallen angel with a procession of secrets that he’s not willing to share. It was hard for me to focus on what I needed to focus on, when those very secrets went hand-in-hand with what I was missing: my memories. In fact, I was missing a whole three years of them. A lot can happen in three years. According to my fallen slash guardian angel, we had met in freshman year. I’d relived a memory of a party we’d went to to celebrate the closing of summer, after freshman year. While Colton was busy keeping everything from me, in order to abide by the archangels’ hot and heavy rules, I was busy trying to sidetrack him and uncover everything he’d already buried.

    Now, in our last days together, I was feeling the effects of regret. Of wasted time. In the midst of practically hating Colton for keeping everything I’d lost from me, I’d forgotten what was important. I was a piece in his game with the archangels. It wasn’t necessarily a game per se, but the word seemed appropriate at the time. It was more like...a threat. Though they had granted him permission to redeem himself with a task that required him to apply himself, it wasn’t a happy-go-lucky task. If Colton had failed to live up to the archangels’ standards, they would strip him of his wings and send him to Hell. I wasn’t clear on what exactly fallen angels went through when they fell, but I was certain it wasn’t a joyride. And in Colton’s case, rather than falling to earth, he was carrying the risk of being sent to Hell over his head.

    Knowing the fact that he had done something so sinful should have sent me running, but as the days passed, old feelings came rushing back. Until his task was up, I wasn’t allowed to ask him questions that pertained to his offering. He made it clear when I’d crossed the line. Archangels are powerful. I knew that much. Just how powerful could they be? Considering they had the ability to send angels back to earth when deemed unfit to be in Heaven, I could safely assume that archangels, the highest ranking angel, had a solid authority. Time and time again, I’d tried to picture Colton standing before a group of archangels, listening to what they had to say. I’d tried to picture him agreeing, agreeing to follow through with a challenge. Colton had never told me himself, but I was certain someday I’d come across an archangel myself. Maybe then I’d get a better idea of their undying power.