Game Day

"Game day. Game day. GAME DAY!" I exclaim first thing in the morning running around the dorm room like an absolute maniac. I probably am an absolute maniac. 

In the common room I run into Cedric. I grab him by the shoulders and squeal: "Game day." 

"It's not called 'Game day'." Cedric laughs. "I've told you before. 

"Match Day?" 

"Sure." Cedric and we walk down to the Quidditch Pitch together with the rest of the team. Then there's the whole pre game routine. Getting dressed, pre game jitters and Cedric's speech. It sounds unrealistic but his game day speeches are even better then his practice speeches. A little longer, mind you, but so worth it. 

"And let's please remember to play fair. A win is nice but so is the moral high ground." He finishes which causes everyone to cheer in agreement. "Now, let's make it a good one." 

I grab my bat and my broomstick and follow Cedric out of the dressing room. We enter the pitch and and so dose the Ravenclaw team. This is our first game this year. The first of the last three games I'll play at Hogwarts. It kind of matters that I makes some sort of impression if I want to play for Puddlemere United when I leave. 

I play the game as I always do. All my everything poured into the game, hitting bludger after bludger. It's not easy you know. Letting go of your broomstick with both hands and then swinging. Swinging so hard. It takes a great deal of arm strength. They told me I couldn't be a beater. But here I am. 

The one problem with focusing so very much on your one aspect of the game is that sometimes the rest of the game get's a little fuzzy. Basically I'm not always sure where exactly we stand in terms of points. One look at the stands will tell you everything and today it's not looking good. Ravenclaw looks way to happy. Which is nice. It's nice to see them happy but it still kind of sucks though. 

The games end and we loose which is a bummer but it's okay. It's not too bad. At least that's what Cedric says. If only I could be as okay about loosing as Cedric is. Sometimes I think he doesn't care about winning at all. 

"You played amazingly." Frank says putting her arm around me in the common room. "Even if you disagree." 

"Thank you." I try a smile but I'm quite sure it looks more then a little forced. 

"Okay. Come on." Frank says pulling me up and towards the door. 

"Where are we going?" 

"Kitchen. You need some hot chocolate. Possibly cheesecake." 

"I love you." Throw my arm back around her shoulder and she puts hers around my waist. There was a time when both Justine Finch-Fletcher and Cedric both thought we where a couple but nah. I mean everyone got 'that' friend, right. 

On the way to the kitchen, long before lights out mind you, we run into Oliver Wood, standing where he stood those other times. Well, we run into him metaphorically. Unlike those other times. I'm grateful for that last part. I'm less grateful for a bit where one of the schools best and defiantly the schools most passionate Quidditch player is standing in front of me after my house just lost a game. 

"Wood." I greet. 

"Waters. We're interacting with out an impact first. This is new." 

"Hey. Shush you." I warn. But it's not a very serious warn. 

"Good job by the way. Fantastic game." 

The only reply I give is a groan. One of those deep, completely un-sexy groans. The type where your forehead scrunches up and your eyes roll. 

"We're going to the Kitchen to make her feel better about that fantastic game." Frank explains. "Want to come?" 

I'm a little taken aback but Frank's invitation but seeing as Wood didn't actually mock me for today's game I don't really mind. I don't even see why he would want to join to the Kitchen so there's really no harm. It's still a little odd for Frank though. She's not usually the extroverted, come join us person I barely know, type. 

"Yah. Okay." Wood says taking me by surprise yet again. What a day. 

"Okay. Good. Is it okay if just the two of you go? I need to finish my Transfiguration assignment." Frank asks. 

"You haven't finished that yet?" Wood asks while I say: "It's due tomorrow." 

"Yes I know. Time management. I'm bad at it remember." 

"Yah. Okay, sure. You go work on that." I tell her smiling, this time genuinely. I understand what it means to Frank to get good grades and I'm honestly incredibly honoured that she was willing to give up home work time to escort me to the Kitchen. 

"Are you sure?" 

"Yes. Of course. Now go one. Finish that essay." 

"Thank you. Sorry." She's also always apologising even when she doesn't need to. 

"Don't apologise. We'll be fine. It'll be fun." I nod at her and link my arm with Woods. "Come on, then." 

Frank leaves us for her work, completely understandable, and Oliver Wood and I make our way to the Kitchen. It's not far from the Hufflepuff common room and we all know where it's located. I just always assumed it was the same for the other houses. But looking at Wood's face as he's stood in front  of the painting of fruit proves me wrong. 

"You'll like this bit." I say tickling the pear opening the porthole to the kitchen. I look over to see the surprise on Wood's face and it kind of makes me giggle. I hate it when I giggle. I've got one of those stupid giggles that make it sound like I'm firstling. Those fake giggles. Those 'I'm only giggling so you'll think I'm cute' giggle. But I'm not flirting and not trying to be cute or whatever. It's just unfortunately the way I was made. 

"Ignore the giggle." I lead the way into the Kitchen where we are greeted by a swarm of house elves. I've wanted to repay them for there service in the past, tried to give them a hat once, they didn't like that. At all. Since then I just stick to 'thank you's'. 

"What can we get you tonight Miss Waters?" One of the elves asks. 

"I'll have a cup of tea please. And I cheese cake if you've got one." I say. 

"And you sir?" 

"Um? The same?" Wood sounds a little unsure when he talks but eventually joins be on the floor. It's a nice floor. Clean floor. Safe to sit on. 

"No chairs?" 

"There are." I confirm. "I'm just not a big fan of chairs. A little boring, aren't they. We're only 17, that's way to young to not sit on floors." 

I'm smiling again. Proper smiling simply because life is good. Not smiling because that's what people want to see. And it's nice. I like those moments when you can smile about having a cup of tea on the kitchen floor with a mate. Not that I've ever thought of Oliver Wood as a mate before, but I think this qualifies him. 

"Just so you know. I'm very upset about you always beating us. Or at least since you got Potter." 

"He's good, isn't he. One of the best." 

I role my eyes. He is one of the best. It's annoying really. I am happy for him, don't get be wrong, but it's still annoying. 

"So are you." Wood adds. 

"I am what?" 

"One of the best." He lifts his mug to his lips and finishes his tea.