Butterbeer and bad timing

As usual I find myself in the Three Broomsticks, however this time It's wit Oliver Wood rather then Frank. It's a little odd and I keep having to stop myself from saying some of the things I would usually say. 

For instance I almost blurted out that my period was late and that I was worried I might be pregnant. Obviously I'm not actually worried I'm pregnant because a certain intimate act is required in order for that sort of thing to happen and there have been no intimate acts of that level in my life since..... well there have never been intimate acts of that level in my life. Frank would know that and jokingly ask me what I was planing on naming the baby. Oliver on the other hand might not recognise the attempt at humour so I'm glad that I somehow caught myself mid sentence and made it seam like it was a potions deadline I was late for. 

Another time I almost tell him how happy I am that Fred asked Caro to Hogsmeade this weekend but decide that neither Fred or Caro would be too pleased about me spreading that information. Or at least that's what I though, but when I see the two of them walk into the three broomsticks together I decide they musn't care too much about it. 

"Caro."  I call my sister over to say hi. 

"Pen. Oliver." She says raising her eyebrow at me suggestively. I've told her about the whole Oliver thing and sometimes I regret it just a little. 

"Cars. Weasley." I say back in the exact same way.

"Yah well. Have a nice day." She says and the pulls Fred as far away from us as possible. She probably realised that she's more likely to get embarrassed by me then the other way around. 

"You know Caroline?" Oliver asks. 

"Yah. She's my sister." 

"She's your sister?" He was completely not expecting that and I can see it clearly on his face. It never occurred to me before that people might not realise that we're siblings but when I give it a second thought I can compliantly understand the misunderstanding. 

"But you don't look anything alike." 

"Yah. We're adopted." I explain. 

"Both of you?" 

"Yup. And we've got another sister and a brother back home." 

"All adopted?" 

"Yes well, we have two fathers so the biological children thing might be a little difficult." I joke but the second the words have left my mouth I regret it. I don't usually like to talk about my dad's because sometimes people can be a little mean about it.

I guess my eyes must have gone wide or something because Oliver laughs and says: "Don't worry. I don't hate Queers or anything." 

"Thank Merlin, because I would have honestly had to reconsider my crush on you if you did." Again I immediately regret it. I need to learn to think before I speak, I really do. 

"You're crush on me?" Oliver questions, smirking. 

"No." I try to back-pedal. "That's not what I meant." 

"That's too bad." He says, his face suddenly much much closer to mine. "Because if you did have a crush on me I'd be feel the urge to kiss you right about now." 

His new found confidence and cheekiness take me by surprise. It's comply un-Oliver and completely sexy. 

"Well, you should defiantly still do that, just in case." I say nodding and smiling like an idiot. 

"Just in case." He repeats and uses his thumb to very gently lift my chin.

I'm staring into his eyes now and they are getting closer and closer to mine. Soon he'll be so close that he'll go blurry so I decide it's probably best to close my eyes before that happens. I know he's still getting closer because I can feel his breath on my face and my heart begins to beat faster as I realise that this is going to be our first proper kiss. 

I feel lips lips against mine just the tiniest bit when a familiar and disliked voice makes me pull back in shock: "Isn't that just cute." 

It's Flint. I open my eyes to be comforted by his annoying face which forces me to let out an irritated sigh. Couldn't he have been a bother some other time. 

"What do you want?" I groan. 

"Just thought I'd remind you that Hufflepuff is playing Slytherin next week. Hope you're not too distracted." 

"Go away." I tell him and when he doesn't move I add: "Please?" Still noting. I hate it when people don't respond to please. Like I was trying to be nice but you rejected my kindness so whatever is coming is your own fault. 

"Look Flint." It's Oliver who's talking now. "Can we not do this right now? Let's save the competition for the pitch. Okay?" 

"Okay. See you on the pitch, Waters." 

"Unfortunately." I mumble as he walks away looking back multiple times. 

"I'm really sorry Flint had come and ruin everything." I say as we make our way back to the castles. 

"It's not your fault." Oliver shakes his head smiling a little. 

"Isn't it? If your theory is right, and he fancies me then that's probably why he came over, right?" A silver down my spine when I think about Flint liking my at all in any way, even the friendship kind of way.  I couldn't be friends with someone that's that mean to people. I mean he even bullies first years. 

"Don't worry about it Penny. It's not your fault." Oliver reassures me. "Besides the rest of the day wasn't so bad." 

"Yah. The rest of the day was pretty good." I agree. 

"How was your date?" I ask Cedric once I'm back in the Hufflepuff common room.

"It went very well, thanks for asking. How was yours?" 

"It was good." I reply. "But it wasn't a date." 

"Really? Because Flint's been telling people that you two where snogging in the three broomsticks." 

I can't believe Flint would tell people that. Well I can believe it but that doesn't make it any less upsetting. I mean who does he think he is just walking around running peoples lives. And all this time I though that Pansy girl was bad. 

"Our lips barley touched." I defend myself. "That's when he came in and ruined it." 

"So it was a date." Cedric questioned smirking that smirk that made me want to punch him. 

"No." I protest. "It was two friends hanging out with a potential kiss hanging in the air." 

"Your denial is cute." 

"Everything about me is cute. I don't need denial for that." I stick out my tongue and retreat back to my dorm room before he can be more of a prat.