Train Talk

"Let's find the bar." I suggest after a while. Well suggest probably isn't the right word. Im going to find the bar. Oliver can join me if he wants.

"Bar?"

"You said there was a war coming, right?" Oliver nods. His expression concerned. "Well Im guessing theres not a lot of time to drink wine during a war so we might as well make the most of it."

I open the compartment door to leave  and make my way on the trip to getting drunk off moldy grape juice not expecting Oliver to join me. But he does. He even takes my hand and intwines his fingers with mine.

"Two glasses of red?" The bar tender asks me in Spanish.

"A bottle actually."

I receive a judgey look but he gives me the bottle anyway and so Oliver and I take seats across from each other at one of the tables.

Weather it was on propose or not I don't know but from the second me sit down I can feel Olivers knee against mine.

"Cheers." Oliver says lifting his glass after ive given both of us generous portions.

"To inevitable endings."

"To all endings." Our glasses collide signaling the start of this drinking session.

The wine is good. Very good in fact. And the feeling it awakens inside my chest isn't exactly bad either.

"Let's get hammered and have sex." I say maybe a little too loudly once the alcohol starts to take affect.

In response Oliver's leg moves towards me and brushes against the exposed skin of my thigh. But he shakes his head.

"What? Why?" I sound whinier  then expected.

"We don't need to jump at every opportunity to rip each others clothes off. Even if it was nice."

"But what if one of us gets hit by a buss?" Thats something I used to say to excuse questionable behavior. Like if i was holding back on eating a whole tub of ice cream id tell myself that it might be my last chance. However, i haven't said it since Cedric died and now suddenly the sentence holds a whole new weight and truth.

I cant help myself. I start to cry. Because now its no longer just a buss that might kill us but an actual person in actual cold blooded murder. That would be worse then a buss, i think.

Unsure what else to do Oliver takes the bottle with us as he leads me back to our compartment. Once inside we unfold the bunks and both made ourselves on the bottom, sitting up against the wall.

I take a swing from the bottle tears still running down my face.  Oliver reaches over to wipe my cheeks dry.  "I don't like seeing you cry."

That makes me chuckle the tiniest bit. "I don't like seeing you cry either."

"When have you ever seen me cry?"

"Hufflepuff vs. Gryffindor our last year." My voice cracks a little despite the fact that I'm starting to calm down.

"Oh." The expression on Olivers face makes me think that he'd forgotten about that incident and only now is remembering that it happened.

"I thought you where going to kiss me." I smirk as I uncover more uncomfortable memories from that day. 

"I thought about it." A little redness goes to his cheeks and I've got to say it's adorable.

"Why didn't you?"

"I didn't think you fancied me."

"I didn't." I admit. As much as I probably would have enjoyed snoging the gorgeous man that is Oliver Wood the truth of the matter is that I didn't fancy him till more than a week later.

"You started avoiding me after that."

"Yeah. I did."

"Why?"

"It was easier." Oliver explains. "You kept doing things that I couldn't help but notice and then we'd have a moment and you'd just say we should pretend it didn't happen. It was distracting."

I remember that. I remember asking Oliver to forget the kiss on the Quidditch pitch which was just a way to get rid of Flint. I remember asking him to forget the time I ran into him and- oh god- tripped over him.

"I'm such a bloody spaz." I groan. "What kind of person runs into someone that often?"

"Don't worry. It was cute."

"Cute? You think me running into you multiple times was cute?"  I give him a faux judgeie look.

"Yeah." He smiles. "I mean I barley noticed you and then you ran into me and I realized there was more to you then a Quidditch crazed 15 year old with hot pink hair."

"Actually I think I was 14 when I dyed my hair, thank you very- what do you mean you barely noticed me? Ouch. I had the biggest crush on you in second year and you barely noticed me? Cheers mate."

Oliver laughs at that. "You fancied me in second year?"

"Yeah. And it was bad. I went to all the Gryffindor Quidditch games and my heart dropped when you got hit by that Bludger. Actually that's one of the reasons I became a beater." My joy whilst talking is fueled by the memories of second year, the year of my sexual awakening as well as the beginning of my Qudditch obsession. However the pain of the rusty screw driver wedged between my ribs is still ever present in my chest no matter how much I try to distract myself.

"Is that so?" Oliver is smirking. "In that case I take full responsibility for one of the Harpies best beaters. With out me, there would be no you."

" Don't flatter yourself." I give him. Light whack over the head. "I would have found my way onto the pitch even without you.

"If you say so." And then he's kissing me. And Im kissing back. Maybe I will get sex tonight after all. -

He pull away. -Or not. But he doesn't let me go completely, his hand still rests on the side of my face and he looks me in the eyes in a ways that's almost intimidating.

"Do you ever wonder what would have happened if I hadn't been standing around that corner the day you first ran into me?"

"No." I admit. "But I think it's obvious what would have been."

"Is that so?"

"Yeah. Frank and I wouldn't have been talking about how I used to fancy you and then Ced- Cedric" I hesitate before saying his name and take a deep breath afterwards "wouldn't have over heard it and wouldn't have started teasing me. Then I would have put thought into it and wouldn't have come find you in the locker room and I wouldn't have seen you in a towel and I wouldn't have had that dream and yeah."

"What dream?" Oliver ask. Damn. Looks like I still don't have a filter.

"Um- it's not important." I try too look away. Diversion is my best hope at this point: "It was Cedric's fault really."

It feels as if a hand just grabbed on to the screw driver. And then gave it a twist. But I cant keep avoiding him in conversation, can I?

"I think he'd be happy about this." I try to keep the tears from coming. "You had his approval. He liked you, you know."

I can see the dampness in Oliver's eyes but decided to ignore it. "No ones approval would have meant more. Cedric truly was one of the best people I've ever met."

"He really was." I confirm. No one was ever as good as Cedric. He was basically perfect.

"Let's avenge him!" The dampness is Olivers eyes is gone. Completely gone. And its replaced with something else. Something scary. It's a kind of burning passion. A burning passion to get back at someone. That's terrifying. It makes me wonder if maybe something more happened. Something Oliver isn't telling me.