One day can make a difference

Concerning last nigh, Oliver and did not have sex. He stopped it before it got that far. Apparently Frank told him that that's something I might try to do. Apparently Frank also told him about Nina.

He wanted to talk about that and wanted to know how I felt about her and how I felt about her cheating. I simply told him that didn't care much and when it became clear that I wasn't going to say more he dropped it.

I've noticed that he wasn't to do a lot of talking about feelings and what not and the truth is, I don't want to do any talking. The only time I ever say much in my everyday life is when I'm teaching students how to scuba dive and I learnt Spanish for that so I don't even really need english all that much.

"Don't you have work or something? Or shouldn't you be training?" I question over breakfast. I know I said last night that didn't want him to go but now, in the light of day, I'm starting to question if his being here is really all that good for me.

"They won't notice I'm missing. Or if they do they'll just assume I'm on the run." He says casually as if that's supposed to make any sense.

"What are you even talking about?" I huff. "Of course they would notice. Also on the run from what?"

"Wait." He loos genuinely confused by my confusion. "You don't know?"

"Know what? Did you become a drug lord while I was away?" It's meant to be a joke but nothing about my voice sounds like there's ever been a joke that left my lips at any point in time.

"No." Oliver is compliantly serious. "The UK is in chaos. You know who is back."

"I KNOW HE'S FUCKING BACK." I spit. I don't mean to sound so angry but I can't help it. "Or maybe you've forgotten that he's gone and killed Cedric!"

"I know Penny, and I haven't forgotten." He remains calm despite my outburst. "I just meant that he's properly back. He's got people in the in ministry and they are taking Muggleborns. People are dying on a daily basis."

"What do you mean they are taking Mugglebons? My sister is a Muggleborn."

"She's safe." Oliver assures me. "She took your family and went into hiding."

"She didn't tell me?" I'm not sure if this makes me mad or disappointed. Disappointed mostly in myself for going so far off rain that she didn't feel like she could trust me with the information.

"For your own safety. No one know's you're here and If you just remind here pretending to be a muggle no one would find you."

"You know I'm here. You found me." I point out not really wanting to go on with this conversation but also knowing that I can't exactly turn back now. Not now that I know that my family is in actual danger.

"Because you told me where you where going. Before you left, remember?"

"Yah I remember." I'm being moody and a bit of a bitch and I'm fully aware of it. It's horrible of me considering how patient and compassionate Oliver is being about the whole situation but I just don't think I'm quite ready for warm and fuzzy yet. I might never be.

"The whole situation back there is actually why I'm here-"

"So you didn't just miss me." It's not a question.

"Of course I did. Penny," pause. "listen. I've missed you so much it's crazy but you didn't want to see me and as hard as it was I knew I had to respect that." Another pause, a longer one this time. "I'm still in love with you."

He's not looking at me but the table as if he's ashamed or something. Part of me wants to lift his head and tell him that I still love him too and that I never stopped loving him and that as long as we're together everything will be okay. Instead I say: "That's unfortunate."

I don't think he was expecting me to reciprocate his words but I don't think he was expecting this either. He looks sad, hurt even and I can't help feeling bad. Still I fight the urge to tell him I'm sorry and that actually I do in fact love him.

"Anyway," He continues. "There's a war coming, everyone can feel it. I was hoping you might come home and join the fight."

"I am home." I butt in.

"Okay. If that's how you feel I can't force you do anything but I'm going back in a week and I do hope by then you'll have changed your mind."

"Hope breeds eternal misery." Is all I say.

After breakfast I have to leave because I have two dives planed for today. I love diving. When you're underwater it's as if nothing else matters as if there is only the vast blueness that surrounds you and everything on the surface just melts away. For two periods lasting 40 minutes I can almost forget everything that's happened and forget everything I've learned this morning, however the sad truth about diving is that eventually you run out of oxygen and have to go back to your life.

"If you get the chance you should dive in the Philippines." I tell one of our clients. This conversation that isn't in any way related to magic is needed and very much appreciated. "I've never seen anything like it." I'm lying. I've never been outside of Europe but the person I pretend to be around here has so I take on her life and talk about adventures she's had.

Soaked and still covered in little grains of salt I reluctantly step back into my houses and try to sneak my way to the shower with out Olive noticing I'm back. Unfortunately I fail.

"Are you done working? I thought we could-"

"Yah. I'm done working." I say before he can continue. I kind of want to avoid whatever it is that he want's to do."But there's some pretty good waves today and I thought I'd catch some before it get's dark."

I've hurt him again. I can see it on his face as clear as day and feels like someone has taken the rusty screw driver out of much chest and plunged it right back in again. If I keep doing this there won't be a whole lot of me left by the end of the week.

"Would you like to come?" I can't believe I add that but the smile on Oliver's face is worth it.

"I'd love to."

So I grab two boards and we make our way to the beach. I need to give Oliver a quick lesson before we can actually hit the waves but I don't mind because it's a pretty good distraction. Maybe I'll open a surf school once he's left.

To no one's surprise Oliver is very good for a beginner and even stands a few times with out my help. I hate it. I hate the admiration that swells up in me when I watch him and I hate that I'm missing all the training sessions we had together in our last few weeks at Hogwarts.

I actually catch myself smiling a few times and I catch a lot more waves then I did yesterday which is defiantly a way to put me in a good mood. Well, I better mood.

"I was wondering if you might like to have dinner?" Oliver ask me once we're showed and clean. "And if you'd like to see a.... what's it called...... Film?"

"Do you even know what a film is?" I ask and actually laugh a little when he shakes his head and explains that Frank told him I might enjoy one.

"Wait. Dinner and a Movie? Are you asking me on a date?" I realise suddenly.

"What's a movie?" Olive asks and I can't help it. I'm smiling. How can I not when asks me questions like that.

"It's another word for 'Film'." I explain.

"In that case: yes, I'm asking you on a date." He gives me this smile which melts me. It's not large and exaggerated like the smiles we used to exchange between the two of us, it remind me more of the smile he used to wear when Gryffindor was winning or he made an exceptionally fantastic save.

"I don't know what a film is though so you might have to organise that." He says and just for a moment I'm the giddy, exited, happy girl from 3 years ago.