Chapter 25

"Dad!" I yelled from the bottom of the stairs.

"What?" He yelled back. I could hear his faint footsteps.

"Get. This. Thing. Off." I said, banging the cast on the end of the stairs.

"Hey! Knock it off!" Dad said, coming over to me. I ignored him.

"Then get it off! I don't like it!" I said, going back to hit it again.

"Evelyn! Do you want it to heal?! The faster it heals, the faster you get it off." He said, grabbing my cast so I would stop.

He pulled me over to the couch, well as much as he could with me on crutches, and sat me down.

"But I don't want it on anymore!" I said, whining.

"It's only been a day, Evelyn." He said.

"So?" I asked. He laughed.

"Come on, time for bed." Dad said. I sighed, and put my arms up when he stood up.

"Carry me?" I asked. He shook his head and picked me up.

"The things I do for you." He said. I laughed and laid my head in his chest.

He laid me on my bed and covered me up, tucking me in.

"Night, Dad." I said.

"Goodnight, sweetheart." He said, kissing my forehead.

***

"Come on, love. Time to get up for school." Uncle Louis said, shaking me a bit.

"No." I said.

"Yes. Come on, babe. I'm taking you in today." He said.

"Why?" I asked, looking up at him with tired eyes.

"Your Dad has to go to work early this morning. So, he's leaving in about 10 minutes. Get ready so you can go say goodbye to him." He said.

I nodded, and stood up. I hopped to the bathroom, and got changed. I put in a little makeup, and hopped my way to the stairs.

I sat on my butt, and started to slide down the stairs, making noises for every bump.

"What in the world are you doing?" Dad asked, staring at me with amused eyes.

Everybody else was staring at me also.

"I left my crutches down here last night, and I always go down on my but when I've had this thing. I kinda have to." I said.

They chuckled, and Dad shook his head.

"Come eat breakfast." Dad said, handing me my crutches.

He helped me stand up, and I made my way to the kitchen. I sat down, and started to eat some cereal.

"Have a good day." Dad said, kissing my forehead. "Love you."

"Love you too." I said. He smiled, and walked out to his car.

A few minutes later I was done with my cereal, and ready to leave.

"Ready to go?" Uncle Louis asked. I nodded, and put my jacket on. I crutched out to the car, and Uncle Louis carried my backpack.

"Why don't you call Jack and tell him to help you to class." He said. I shook my head.

"I don't really want to talk to him." I said.

"You need someone to help you around. And from what I've heard, he has most classes with you." He said.

I sighed, and pulled out my phone. No matter how much I didn't want to, I knew Uncle Louis was right.