Ch. 24 "Heavy Water"

―Aria―

A knock came on the door and I swiped at the tear that I was surprised surfaced. Somewhere inside me, I hoped it was Liam, though I knew it wasn’t. Liam wouldn’t do that, he’s too nice and stupid to come back right after an argument or a fight or whatever it was we had…was it an unveiling? Whatever that means… Oh, how should I know? Remember? I don’t care anymore.

“Come in.” I yelled at the strange person knocking.

It, in fact, wasn’t Liam, but a black nurse who had on way too much lip liner, but somehow it worked for her... Her odd green eyes were deep and you could actually see the concern in them, this wasn’t just a job for her. No, money was just a benefit from the actual joy.

“Hungry, Darling?” She asks and wheels in a cart with pudding, chicken, peas, and potatoes then closes the door behind her. “If you’re not, don’t eat it. But, I’m warning you…you’re gonna end up eating it.”

At that, I scoffed. “Then I guess I am.” Hey, a nurse with a sense of humor. Better than all these people running around looking at me all the time like I’m gonna take the needle and plunge it into myself…

“Good,” She smiles, she was nice looking, I decided. She’s pretty and nice, but not an overly-nice nice. It was as if she actually had a backbone. After handing me the tray, she sits down in the seat Liam was in and I internally roll my eyes. She’s gonna talk with me? “Eat, eat. For right now, I’m gonna talk, but do me a favor and listen.”

I smirk as I eat a sliver of potatoes. “Okay…sure.” I say.

“Liam told my colleague that you’re missing your dad…”

My eyes widen. Liam did not say that. I don’t miss my dad. Period. “Liam apparently lied then.” I abandon all thought of this being a one-sided conversation, possibly playing into her plan perfectly. I feel an urge to hurl the fork across the room at the wall. (Maybe I’ll aim at that hideous picture of a rock.)

“I don’t think Liam lied.” The black lady says. Her name tag had a picture of her on it with her name, it said Brooklyn Powers. “In fact, even if Liam did lie, I still think there’s a fragment of truth in it.”

“Oh, you think so? Then you’ve come to diagnose my problems?” I ask, but I don’t look at her. Instead, I look down and mix the peas on my plate with the potatoes.

“In a way, yes.”

I grin sarcastically. “In a way: Yip-de-frickin’-doo…”

“Aria, you’re gonna talk to me. I can make it so that your doctor keeps you another day. I could leave this room, tell that doctor you’re still suicidal and that the moment you leave you’re gonna crash a car, overdose on heroine, hang yourself, but, in all honesty, you’ll be here. That is, if you don’t talk to me. And Darling, you are going to talk to me.”

I glance sideways at her. “I’ve been talking, but I guess I need to talk even more then?”

“Yeah.”

Even with the bitchy way she held herself now, I liked her.

I lean my head back in the pillow and watch the ceiling. I started off with a chuckle, “Where do I start?”

―Kim―

I kept driving. I really wanted to prolong this feeling of okay-ness. Aria’s alright for now, she has Liam. Liam and Aria are good friends, she told him everything, every feeling she had when she had it. I remember the phone call at the hotel. Sad, I feel an ache that she couldn’t tell me. I should’ve stayed longer. I know I should’ve. If not to talk with her, then for her to know that I’ve stayed. Some friend I am...