Ch. 9 "Hide-and-Go Away Harry"

―Kim―

I’m in a large suite, white walls and black furniture, and all around me I’m engulfed in the smell of cooking. I immediately recognize it as my mother’s. Niall is yelling at Greg…something about him stealing an Xbox controller. Can’t say I blame him, I’d be upset too, and Xbox is life in a boy’s mind.

Our dad ends it and Niall and Greg both come out Niall heading to his, to what I guessed, room, his controller in his hand. I can’t help but watch as he goes down the hall.

“Greg?” I look up at my brother, he’s grown tall in the last few years, and his hair longer. “When Niall is spending time with us you do not steal his Xbox controller.” I smile at him and throw a pretzel from the bowl I’ve been eating at him. He catches it in his mouth.

Greg rolls his eyes as though the thought of taking our brother’s controller isn’t a big deal. “It’s Xbox, can I only play when he’s not here?”

I smirk. He takes that as my answer and leaves me alone in the living room to help our mom cook.

I never was much of a cooker, I take after our dad. But I do encourage their work, which reminds me…

“Smells good, mom!” I yell.

“Yeah-huh.” Mom yells back.

I snicker and munch on another pretzel. Mom usually has to cook more sides for our family because the main course just doesn’t suffice, with our metabolisms and all. One time, we ate at least ten pounds of baby back ribs, stripped it clean. And there was no left overs. Not even from the side, corn on the cob. Not one kernel left. Not one.

Since then, my mom has realized that I’m more like the boys when it comes to eating. So, to substitute she makes more sides than usual.

But when Greg moved out and Niall went to be on X Factor, she had to snap herself out of the habit of cooking unusually large meals and teach herself to just feed me and my dad. Still, the meal could potentially feed a family of five.

Niall comes out grumbling. He sits on the couch across from me and takes his phone out irritably. He’s texting, and when he finishes he looks up at me.

I raise an eyebrow questioningly. “Can I help you?”

“Just… oh, never mind.”

“Well, that’s interesting. Care for a pretzel?” I hold one up and he stares at it.

“I think I’ll just wait for dinner.” He keeps looking over at the kitchen door.

What is he thinking…’ I think. ‘He never passes up food…’

And then Greg yells. “Niall!” Niall jumps behind the sofa just before Greg comes back in and heads directly to Niall’s room. “Niall!” He comes back out to where I am. “Where’s Niall?”

I look up at him and shrug. “Why? What’d he do?”

In answer, Greg holds out his phone and on it is clearly the picture of a man’s penis. I cover the screen with my hand, “Did NOT need to see that…You guys are so immature and weird!” The penis game. Horan version.

They are so gross, it's sometimes hard to believe they're my brothers. And this whole game started when back when Greg was in highschool. I was 12 but I can still remember them running after each other with some doll that they found and both thought funny...you can imagine what made it funny. It still haunts me...It had fake hair and everything. I'm shuddering just thinking about it.

Losing my appetite, I put the pretzels on the coffee table and point to the couch Niall’s hiding behind. 

Greg pulls Niall out and puts him in a headlock. Niall is laughing as he starts asking for help, “Kim, Kim―”