Chapter 9

____________Your POV_____________
It's been a few days since all the titan shifters decided to switch to humanities side.
Although, now it was late in the afternoon, and Levi decided to not only have you on kitchen duty for the rest of your time here, which you continuously teased him about, but he also ordered that you were to sit down and eat with everyone else, stating that 'you should start to create bonds with the squad'. Ironic, since your the grim reaper and all.
But, other than that, an expedition is suppose to come up pretty soon.
You never liked these expeditions, due to the fact that there were so many death tolls during them, but you remained quiet about it.
Bertholdt, Annie, Reiner, and Ymir all seemed to have taken some form of respect towards you, although it's difficult to tell with both Ymir and Annie.
But, today, as everyone makes their way into the dinning hall, you sensed something was about to happen.
You kept your gaze locked on the door.
"Is something wrong, (F/N)?" Petra asks worriedly.
"No, I just have a feeling something's about to happen." You mutter more to yourself then to the others.
"What does that mean?" Eld asks as he raises an eyebrow.
However, as you were about to open your mouth to speak, the doors to the mess hall were thrown open.
Everyone turned their attention towards the door, only to be met with about five MPs standing in the doorway.
"Tch, what do you pigs want?" Levi hisses.
"Oh, nothing, we just wanted to see if the rumors were true. Three grim reapers joining humanity to fight back." The one that you guessed to be the leader sneers.
"Yeah, its true. It's odd right?" You ask giggling.
"Oh, and looky here, one of them is no older then a measly brat." One of the MPs in the back sneers.
You smirk as you say, "Is that so?"
As soon as you said that, the familiar whirlwind of flames surrounded you, as you changed into a different form.
"Does this look like a body of a measly brat?" You ask giggling, as you crossed your arms over your large bust.
A few of the MPs got nosebleeds, and had to use their hands to cover their noses, trying to stop the blood.
"Wow, and here I thought the rumors of the MPs being a bunch of no good drunken perverts were nothing, but a rumor." You hear Mizuki say as she suppresses her laughter, and as you change back into your original form.
The leader of the group seemed to have gotten a tick mark on his forehead, as he rushed up to her, but as he reached for the collar of Mizuki's shirt, he fazed through her.
"You know, I once read a poem a long long time ago, and I believe it describes the MP perfectly." You say, chuckling.
"It said: Have you no honor? Have you no soul? What is it they're dying for? Do you really even know? Have you no backbone? Have you no spine? Whatever happened to no one gets left behind?" You say as you stare at the leader of the small band of MPs.
He seemed to have gone pail at your words.
"You honestly think I don't know about your life. How many times must I repeat myself? I am a grim reaper, I look into the lives of humans, and am to send them to their rightful place. But, it seems that your rightful place isn't in the paradise above, but rather to the tortured souls below." You say giggling.
"Tch, maybe so, but at least I don't find joy in taking away the souls of others. Maybe that's why you joined the scouting legion, because they have the most death tolls." The man spits out.
___________Levi's POV_____________
After the man spits those words out, I see (F/N)'s whole demeanor change.
Her once carefree smile on her face instantly disappeared.
I take a look at the other two grim reapers, and see that they also have a more serious look on their face, but they also look somewhat fearful of the words the man spoke.
Because, I soon found out why, as I take a look back at (F/N).
Her entire expression says that she is about to kill this man in the most horrible way possible.
As I stare at the woman in front of me, I soon take notice that the climate in the room has drastically changed as well.
It's in the middle of summer, but the room felt as if we were in the middle of winter instead.
"You think I enjoy this job?" I hear (F/N) spit out in a dangerously low tone, unlike her usual happy-go-lucky one.
That was when I remembered Hyosuke's words.
'(F/N) is a lot more sensitive then she looks, so I suggest you be careful with your words. They might just be you last.'
I stare at (F/N) as she looks at the man with a glare so vicious that even a titan would cower in fear.
"I was put on this job without a choice of my own. Once I died, turns out they needed a new grim reaper, so I was the lucky bitch that got the damn job." She spits out as she slowly walks towards the man, who is now shaking in fear, but as he went to move backwards, he stumbled and landed on his ass.
"But, you know what?" She suddenly asks.
"Since, I supposedly 'like' my job so fucking much, how about I reap your soul?" She growls out, as her scythes appear in each of her hand, as she steps on the guy's chest, in order to prevent him from moving any further.
Pointing the sharp tip of the blade at the man.
"Well, how about it? Make my job joyful." She says as she brings one of her scythes above her head, but that was when I rushed towards her, and grabbed her wrist.
The sharp point of the scythe only a few centimeters from the man's face.
She turns her glare towards me, but I don't move.
"Let. Go." She growls menacingly, but it doesn't effect me one bit.
"No, now stop this foolishness at once." I say sternly.
She clicks her tounge in annoyance, but listens to my command nonetheless.
She steps off of the guy, and walks out of the mess hall, slamming the door behind her in the process.
I glare at the man that is still on the floor.
"Get out, Before I kick your fucking ass." I hiss.
The man nods his head frantically as he gets up, and dashes out the door, his so called 'comrades' not too far behind.
"Now, would anyone mind telling me, what the fuck just happend?" I hiss as I glance at the two other grim reapers.
They both seem to appear uncomfortable as I continue to stare at them, before Hyosuke decides to finally speak.
"You should ask her yourself. I already gave you a warning about this, didn't I?"
I let out a frustrated sigh, as I head out the door, leaving everybody else behind.
'Knowing that idiot, she's in only one place that I could think of.' I think as I head outside.
Once outside, I began to walk around, before I finally find her.
She's sitting atop of a nearby hill, her knees pulled up to her chest, while both of her arms are crossed over them, with her chin resting on top.
I quietly walk up behind her.
"What do you want?" I hear (F/N) hiss, as she keeps her back to me
"An explanation." I say bluntly.
"If its about my attitude, I apologize, it was unprofessional." She mutters, as she continues to keep her back facing me.
"I don't want an apology, I want an explanation." I say again.
"Why? It doesn't really concern you." She mutters, still refusing to look at me.
I sigh as I take a seat beside her.
"Yes, it is. If one of my men is feeling uncomfortable, its my job to hear them out." I say.
"But, I am not one of your men. I am a slave, a being that is suppose to follow orders from their contractor. That's it." She says as she buries her face into her knees.
"Not to me." I say, causing her to snap her head up.
"To me, you are one of my men. A companion of sorts." I say.
I see her jaw clench together tightly.
It was silent for a few minutes, before she finally spoke.
"I never asked for this."
"Never asked for what?" I ask.
"I never asked to be a grim reaper, after I died, it turned out that they needed a new one, so I was the lucky bitch that got it. I tried everything, but nothing worked. I looked through every rule book, then I finally found it. The solution. Make a contract with a human. After I found that out, I went all over the place, looking for someone who could see me. But, after a few hundred years went by, I gave up. I didn't find anyone that could see, or hear me. Then, a miracle happens. I meet you." She says, still keeping her gaze forward.
"After you said you could see me. I was happy, so unbelievably happy. I could be free from this curse. From having to be forced to collect souls, to watch as other humans crumble under the pressure of death, to continuously be cursed at for my existence. I was finally able to get away. But, then I realized something. That I didn't deserve to be free, after everything I did to you." She said.
"What do you mean by that?" I ask in a softer tone, as I raise an eyebrow.
"This isn't the first time we met." She says, pain were evident in her words.
"What do you mean. I never met you before." I say.
"Well, I should refrase that. I have met you before." She says, her voice full of self loathing.
"When your mother died, I had to come and collect her soul, to send her to heaven, and that was when I saw you. A weak looking child. I wanted to do something, really I did. So, I decided to try and help you." She says, causing me to become extremely confused.
"How did you help me?" I ask.
"They say that when a grim reaper cries, their tears can heal anything. So, I cried. One little tear, and I gave it to you. I knew that if I didn't something, you would've died. I knew that my one tear, would only give you a limited amount of life, but it was well worth it, I see. You didn't die, and when I saw you again, it was when you lost your friends. I took them away from you." She says, and she looks like she's about to cry.
"Please, forgive me. Don't hate me, please." She chokes as she buries her face into her knees.
I didn't know what to do.
I didn't know if I should feel anger, for her taking away my loved ones, to feel grateful that she helped me when I was younger, or to feel pity that she's begging for forgiveness that I already know she doesn't need.
"You don't need to be forgiven. I don't hate you." I say, causing her head to lift up.
"But, I-" before she could continue, I interrupted her.
"It wasn't your fault, like you said before, you had no other choice, but to do your job." I say as comforting as I could.
She looks at me, surprise written all over her face, but it quickly melts away into a gentle smile, this time, however, it was actually real.
"Thank you, Levi." She says, as she looks as me.
But then, she suddenly stands up.
"I want to reintroduce myself!" She suddenly says.
Now it was my turn to be surprised.
"My name is (F/N), I can't really remember my last name, but I hope we can work together, Levi Ackerman, also known as 'Humanities Strongest'." She says gently as she holds out her hand, giving me a wide, authenticated smile.
"I feel the same." I say as I take ahold of her hand, and give it a firm shake.
Her smile widens even further as this happens.
After a few minutes of silence, (F/N) finally speaks up.
"Hey Levi?"
"Yes?" I ask.
"Can I do something, please. It would only be one time." She asks, looking down blushing, as she twiddles her fingers.
I slowly nod my head.
She hesitantly brings her arms up, and wraps her them around my waist.
The action causes me to stiffen, but I soon relax, as (F/N) places her head on my chest, her ear right above my heart.
"Your so warm, its really comfortable." She murmurs.
I didn't say anything, as she continues to speak.
"And the strong steady pounding of your heart is like music to my ears." She says as she continues to stay in this position.
After a few minutes of staying like this, she finally retracts out of my embrace.
"Thank you, Levi. That really meant a lot to me." She says smiling.
"Don't mention it, anyway, we should be heading back now." I say as I turn quickly around, trying to hide the blush that had found its way onto my face.
I hear (F/N) give a soft chuckle, as she says "Yeah, lets go."
She follows beside me the rest of they way, finally giving the world a real smile.