Chapter 42- Last Time.

One Week Later

Leah's POV

I'm completely moved in with Jennifer now and I think we're both pretty happy with this arrangement. We don't get tired of eachother... And it's extremely convenient on our sex life...

I walk in the door after a pretty good day at work, I'm in a great mood. "Jenniferrrrrr." I call out happily and close the door. I don't hear a response so I out my things down and walk through the front hallway with the sound of my 6 inch heels hitting the hardwood echoing through the condo. I turn the corner and see Jennifer sitting near the bottom of the staircase with her head in her hands.

"Baby?" I say and walk over to her- getting concerned. "What's wrong?" I ask. She lifts her head and I can see that her eyes a puffy and a little red so it's obvious to me that she's been here crying. "Jen?" I say and move directly in front of her and place my hands on her thighs. "Please talk to me?" I whisper. "I need to go to Rodrigo's." She says softly. "Can you please tell me what's going on?" I ask her, trying not to upset her any further than what she already is. "My dad called." She says and looks at me. "And?" "He's not expected to make it through the next 2 days." She says and I can see how hard she's fighting the tears. "Babe...." I whisper. "Leah, no matter what he said about me or anything that happened- he's still my father and I can't just pretend that it doesn't have any effect on me emotionally knowing that he's expected to be dead before the end of the week." She says. "I know baby... It's hard." I try and comfort her. I rub her thigh and she looks at me and her eyes are watery. She breaks.

She cries and hugs me tightly, locking a grip so tight on me that I'm barely able to breathe. But I don't even care, I hate seeing her like this. I hate it when she cries.

I hug her back and just stay quiet, not sure what to say to her. There is nothing I can say in this situation that's gonna fix it or make it better. It's not something we can get around that easily... Someone is dying and no one is able to stop it.

"Can you please just take me to Rodrigo's?" She asks and wipes her eyes. "Of course." I say and touch her face. We stand up and she's wearing black and white Nikes, along with some grey sweatpants and one of my hoodies. I hold her hand and we go down to my Range Rover and I take her to her bother's and walk her upstairs.

We go inside and Rodrigo has already heard the news and he's not as upset as Jennifer, or at least he's not showing it. "Hey." I say to him and give him an awkward and friendly hug. He smiles slightly and then turns to Jennifer. Jennifer slams her body into his, hugging him tighter than ever before. It's very apparent that Jen and Rodrigo are close and she trusts him a lot. I'm glad she has that relationship with someone... Ryan and I used to be pretty close when I was around 18-19... And then things started changing. He would get a girlfriend, or work would take up all of his free time, and then I eventually moved and got my own life together here in New York. That's when it all kinda ended I guess- we still acted friendly and close when we did see eachother but we only shared phone calls on birthdays and major holidays if I'm being completely honest here....

I sit here and watch the two of them and it makes me miss that type of relationship but at the same time I don't need that because I have Jennifer... She's honestly everything I need and more so I'm not complaining at all. I've never been happier with where I am in life than I am right now with Jennifer.

"Leah, you should go home." Jen tells me and releases her arms from around her brother. "You sure?" I ask her. She nods and sniffles her nose. "Call me if you need me at all, I mean it." I tell her and wipe her cheek using my thumb. "I will. I love you." She tells me in a soft voice. "I love you more." I whisper and kiss her lips. She slowly releases my hand as I walk away and out the door. The only reason I'm comfortable leaving her when she's like this is because I know Rodrigo Will make sure she's alright.

Jennifer's POV

Rodrigo and I are about to go to my dad's house and see him one last time and I'm expecting it to be difficult but I don't want to cry in front of him.

We arrive at his house and go inside and see him sitting on the couch, looking happy as ever. "Hi." I say, feeling a little tension and awkwardness about what happened last time I was here. Rodrigo and I sit down across from him and act as normal as possible.

"Surprised you came." My father says with a smile. "Well..." I say and let out a fake laugh. "Jennifer, seeing as that this is probably going to be the last time that I get to see you and have a conversation with you-" as soon as he says this I feel tears forming in my eyes. "- I want to forget about what happened last time, I want to end this off on a good note and your decisions you make in life are exactly that... Your decisions." He says. I nod, not able to speak in fear that I'll start to cry.

"Can you two promise me something?" He asks my brother and I. I look at Rodrigo and nod. "Please promise me that you'll take care of yourselves, and your mother." He says. "We will." Rodrigo says. "Can you make me a promise?" Rodrigo smiles. "Anything..." My father laughs. "Promise me that you'll watch out for this one..." He teases and nudges my arm, trying to lighten my mood. My father smiles and nods at me. "Always will." He says.

"I love you kids, more than you know or believe. I'm sorry I wasn't the father you always needed or dreamed of and I would go back and change it if I could, but just please know I'm sorry and I am very proud of the both of you and the people you've become." He says. I nod slowly and force a smile. "Thank you." I say, barely making a sound. "You're awful quiet." My father says to me. "I don't have much to say." I whisper.

"Don't cry over this- not over me." He tells me. I let out a laugh and look at him, "I cry over everything." I say. "Save your tears for something that's worth it. I'm not." He says. "You are, you're my father wether I like it or not and it's not easy knowing that you're gonna lose your father- or any parent for than matter. It's a hard bridge to cross." I say and shrug. "You're strong and you'll be fine, I know you will." He says and tries to make me feel less shitty about the situation.

-

We stay here for 3/4 hours, having dumb conversations trying to make up for the past several years with these few hours we have left with him. It's nearly 11:00pm and I'm so tired, I glance at my phone and see Leah's name and a message from her.

"You okay?"

"I'm good, I'll see you soon."

"Be safe, I love you."

I give Rodrigo a look and let him know that it's time for us to leave. We all slowly stand up and Rodrigo hugs my father and it's just an awards silence and feeling in the room. "I love you, son." He says. Rodrigo nods and I know he can't speak without crying so he shuts up. I walk over to my dad and he pulls me close, kisses my forehead and hugs me tightly. "I love you, Jennifer. You're a beautiful young woman and I'm so proud of you." He says to me. I let a single tear slip from my eye and then smile at him. "You're going to go places... And I hope you get everything you desire and deserve in this life." He says to me. I nod and smile. "Love you too..." I say and wipe my face and give him a final hug.

We leave his house and I don't cry, I just remain completely silent and climb into the passenger seat of Rodrigo's car. "Am I taking you back home?" He asks. "I- can I please stay at your place?" I ask him, not wanting to be around anyone except Rodrigo. "Yes..." He says. I nod and call Leah.

"Hey, I'm gonna stay at Rodrigo's." I say. "Are you okay?" She asks. "Yeah, I just need to be with him right now." I say and try to sound somewhat normal.... "Okay, I love you. Goodnight." she whispers. "Goodnight." I say backs me hang up the phone.

We go back to his apartment and I lay down on the bed in his spare room. I stare up at the ceiling and try to fall asleep but it isn't working... He comes into the room and hugs me. "It's gonna be alright." He says. "I know." I whisper back. "Get some rest." He kisses my head and gets up to leave the room. "I love you." I say. "I love you too." He says and closes the door behind him.

It's gonna be a long night, my mind has too much to think about.