Chapter One

"Sorry about yesterday." I said quietly to Dallas as we were sitting next to each other near the opening on the still moving train. I chose to hang around him really because there was no one else on the train that was anywhere near our age.

He nodded his head slowly and looked down at me "Don't do that again then." he said flatly and then turned his head again to look out of the train. I turned away from him to, looking out to see heaps of green hills with strangely colored trees pass us by at a pace so quick it barely seemed visible to me.

For some reason I actually feel a bit reluctant about being so rough yesterday, in the end we are just lost kids looking for somewhere to belong, and I hadn't even given him a chance to establish himself before being knocked out yesterday. I shook the feeling off my shoulders and slowly stood up and headed to the other side of the train to see what the young adults were up to.

"...once. With a dull pocket knife and a few drops of rat poison." said a petite boy with patchy black hair and a flashy red jacket. He killed someone too. Why is almost everyone a murderer nowadays?

I sat down and crossed my legs and looked at the small group of people. They all looked tuff and hardened by their criminal records. Most of the people here were men, but it didn't worry me to much, even they must have some shame.

By now it was midday of the second day and almost everyone was sleeping or dozing off. Dally, two men and one lady were still wide awake.

Then I heard the red headed lady giggle menacingly "Only one?" she asked the small man. "I don't even bother to count how many I have." she continued before looking expectantly at the big dude with a bandana and a cheap t-shirt who stood beside her. He didn't respond to her though, and after a few seconds of silence I saw that he was glaring at me.

"Hey little girl" he said before walking a whole two steps towards me and picking me up by the arm "...wanna play a game?" In a flash I was dangling halfway out of the train opening.

I dung my nails into his arm out of terror and started screaming out of frustration and fear. He kept inching me out of the opening and I heard more giggling and talking from inside the cart.

"Just drop her already" the red headed woman said, probably enjoying every second of my terror filled face and cries for help. Where was Dallas? I know I punched him already, but we already had the spit hand-shake.

"See here Janet..." he said probably referring to the lady "...I'm not afraid to kill a little girl." before the pressure of his hand on my upper arm was released. That was my one and only Que. I gripped the edge of the trains cart and began screaming as I felt my shoes nearly hit the the bottom of the tracks. His foot started coming down and I shut my eyes tight, not letting a single tear come out before my death.

The impact of his foot on my fingers never came though, and I opened my eyes to see Dallas and the guy with the black hair ganging up on the big guy.

I used the very last of my upper body strength to swing myself up there and get into one of the corners. I watched as the big guy was shoved closer and closer to the edge until I heard a faint crack come from outside the train.

Janet's face was relaxed, but she knew she was as good as dead. We all did. She backed herself up so that she was on the wall and looked at Dallas and the black haired man. A few people had woken up from the commotion, so they both walked over to me and sat down.

"You're fine" said Dallas to me, more as a statement that a question. The other guy nodded his head as if to answer for me.

"Yeah..." He said before looking me in the eyes "The names Charles, and may I ask your name?"

"I don't have a name yet..." I said letting my words sink in for a second, my mom never bothered giving me a name.

Dallas chipped in now and looked at me a bit deviously before saying "Great, then I officially name you Baby Cakes."