Chapter Twenty Three

*Pony boy's P.O.V*

"Did you love her Dally?" I asked after minutes of starring at Baby's motionless body on the hospital bed. He had been there all night, hunched over with his hands clasped together.

"No." he said coldly looking blankly down at the floor.

Liar. He killed Curly, Tim's brother for her, he ran away to New York with her and he saved her during the fire. Dally might be heartless, but I bet he could still feel love like Soda did for Sandy.

Dallas's lip quivered for a second before he looked me in the eyes for the first time in days. They were icy blue, full of hatred to the world and a mix of pain that I rarely saw, it was because of the red and black rings the encircled his eyes.

"I needed her!" he yelled out with a sudden burst of energy before standing up out of the chair next to Baby and punching the white hospital wall, leaving a fist sized hole in the otherwise perfect room, and sprinting out of the hospital door.

"Dally!"

There was no answer to my call, which I expected. I got off of the wall I was leaning on and walked towards Baby's hospital bed. Her breaths were slow and soft, barely there. The dirty blonde hair she has always had cascaded down to her shoulders. If it wasn't for the big red stain she had on her hospital bed she would've been worth taking a photo of.

"Damn it!" I whispered under my breath, Baby was going to die, and Dallas knew that.

I didn't know if he could handle losing Johnny and Baby.

Sadly, she wouldn't be here to hear her own last words or to hear everything Dallas was murmuring under his breath while holding her bed. The other boys had visited her, but none looked nearly as devastated as him, Dallas an I knew the truth.

The last thing that went through my mind while leaving a dying Baby's room was a dying Dally.

--------------------

Tim Shepard's cement gang house was only a few blocks away. Track practice was showing to be useful, I had ran the entire couple of miles there. Dallas had to be there, I heard him saying something about it to Darry when I walked in. I think it was something about a forgotten child.

If he wasn't there I... I didn't want to know where he was.

The old door flew open the second I shoved on it and automatically I saw the completely trashed front room. Dallas wasn't there, and not even Tim, he was usually sleeping on that one strange blue couch. I shrugged off the bad feeling I had and ran into where all the boarding rooms were.

Automatically I took notice to the opened steel grey door at the back that was usually never open. I ran through it and almost tripped down the dimly lighted steps that led into the chilling basement.

Dallas was picking something up off the floor, a baby, a little boy with dark hair like his own. Slowly I saw as he slipped off his leather jacket, careful not to disturb the deathly silent baby, and laid it on the floor. He was in a usual white tank top that showed off his arms that were decorated with burns.

Slowly Dallas lowered the very small baby into the jacket, wincing as he placed it onto the chilled floor. He carefully wrapped the jacket around the baby and lifted the child up to his face.

For a second I could've sworn I heard Dallas humming something.

Dallas hadn't noticed me until I let out a gasp, Curly was sprawled out on the floor, covered in blood with his eyes gouged out. He didn't belong in such a sweet scene with Dallas, or I guess he did, it wouldn't have the Dallas flare without a dead body.

The baby, though covered in what I'm guessing was Baby's blood, was fine.

"Pony?" he said, walking towards me. The ground echoed and we both stopped as we heard an extra pair of feet stomping across the floor.

"My kid brother." Tim laughed from the corner of the room, his arms crossed and a shining metal peeking from in between his fingers. "... Is dead, because of you!"

"Dammit." Dallas said quietly, pushing my arm with his free one. "Run ya' idiot." he said, shoving the baby into my arms. Thats when Dallas's baby started to cry.

"It's alright, Johnny." I heard him murmur while I climbed up the stairs. "It's always alright."