Chapter Ten

I looked back in the dusty rear view mirror, the boys were still shivering and shaking from the wetness of their cloths. Johnny had taken off his jean jacket and put it on the floor of the car, but Pony boy was still fully clothed looking off into the distance. Maybe I was suppose to say something else to the boys? I took my eyes off of them and looked back at the empty stretch of road. From all those days I had spent in the outsiders gang house I learned about the boys relationships, and right now I knew that of all things Pony boy and Johnny needed right now,they needed Dallas.

We drove to Buck's sketchy party house. I looked into the front yard and a flash of the night memory with Curly swept across me. Shivering from it I opened my door and stepped out of the car and motioned for the boys to come with me.

My blood was still on the spot where I got knocked out the other day, brown on the dead grass and cracked pavement. If I ever saw Curly again I would kill him, he was never gonna touch me like that again... Not if I had the chance to stop him.

I walked up the steps to Bucks place and pulled the door open, I didn't need an invitation from him. The boys followed in behind me into the red front room that was blaring country music and I started walking up the stairs to look for Dallas. All of the naughty rooms were up there where people would do the strangest things behind closed doors.

I looked around, there weren't that many rooms, I went to the back of the hall and started knocking on them. Everyone responded with a yell or something until I got to a door where there was no sound. Surely someone was in there, I thought as I opened the creaky door. That's when I saw Dallas on the bed, sleeping, he looked younger when he slept.

I walked into his room and jumped on up on the bed he was sleeping on before I smirked and ferociously jumped down and laid with my head on my elbow right next to where he was snoring so that our bodies were side by side.

New fact I learned today the hard way, Dallas does not stir and look confused when he wakes up like the other boys do, he balls his hands into fists and violently punches whatever moved. If I hadn't moved quickly enough he surely would've hit me in my face.

Dallas looked shocked for a second before looking at his fists, he had pounded them into the pillow right besides him where I was laying just a second ago. He quickly shook his head and looked up at me.

"Couldn't wait to hop into be with me, Baby, could ya'." He said jokingly, sitting up, he was only in a pair of whit boxers, I rolled my eyes and shoved the old blanket that I was holding onto to him.

"You might wanna put some cloths on." I said smiling at him "Johnny's got something to tell you." That's when Johnny got his cue and the door slowly creaked open just a little bit more and the shivering pair of Johnny and Pony Boy came into the room.

"What's wrong with ya Johnny." Dallas said walking over to him, adjusting the blanket around his torso. He picked at the boys cloths "You too Pony boy, what, did ya go skinny dippin' with your cloths on?" Dallas said smirking a little bit. He had pants on now and was reaching into one of the big wooden drawers.

"Here, you two can put these on." he said, shoving them each a shirt and a pair of jeans, then Dallas turned to me. "You, baby, you can put that on." Dallas said pointing to the floor where a skimpy black dress was.

"My cloths aren't wet." I said shaking my head to the side and looking at the dress, it was actually kinda cute though. I wonder what girl was walking around without her dress now.

"But I bet they're dirty." Dallas said pointing his finger to them while looking me up and down. I looked down at them, they were covered in sticky dirt and blood and who knows what else.

"That's not the problem right now!" Pony boy croaked out as he shoved his old cloths into the corner of the room. He had his dry cloths on now and was seated on the bed "Johnny just killed a soc!"

Dallas look got darker, more sinister, before he caught himself and looked over at Johnny "Good for you Johnny cakes!" he said slapping Johnny on the back. Dallas looked back over at Pony boy "What's the news then?" he said turning to me while scrubbing at Johnny's hair. I frowned and looked at him, and Dallas must have caught on because he sourly looked back at the two boys.

"What do you want me to do about it?" he said, looking at Pony boy and backing away from Johnny and towards the bed where the dresser was.

"We just thought if anyone we should come to you, Dal." Johnny gingerly said looking down at his dirty hands. These boys were turning me soft because I noticed that I almost felt sorry for Johnny.

Dallas rubbed his hands together and looked around the room while biting his lip. "Fine. Fine." he said throwing his hands in the air "You just need to lay low until this whole thing blows over." then he sat on the bed next to Pony boy before pulling out a weed.

I swung the car keys around in my hand "I was thinking that maybe we could take a road trip." I said, popping the 'p'. My hand was flung onto the dresser for support and I was looking over at the boys. Johnny and Pony still looked shell-shocked, but Dallas was smirking, the cigar in his mouth tilted up towards the ceiling.

Dallas got off the bed and walked over to me before pushing my hands above my head against the wall, taking the keys away from me. "Great idea, Baby Cakes, but I get to drive." he said in almost a hiss. His face got closer to mine and I turned my head the other direction, then he blew smoke in my face.

Dallas grabbed my face and took his hands off mine, looking into my eyes for a second. He had a hint of something in his face, almost a mix of anger and compassion, his high cheekbones with a bit more depth than usual.

"You've got any idea where we would go?" Dallas asked, backing off away from me. I smirked and made eye contact with him and he smirked back at me, it was time to meet up with some long lost friends.

Dallas ran and yanked open the old door and started hooting and hollering "C'MON KIDS WERE GOING TO NEW YORK!"

We ran out of Bucks place into Tim's car. When I was younger I hated New York, but now I imagine it would be the perfect playground for me and Dallas and the perfect hiding spot for Johnny and Pony. I jumped into the front seat next to Dallas and let my hair down, watching him speed down the road, he already knew the path to New York.