Chapter Eaighteen

In my mind during that moment in time everyone disappeared. For a second in time I forgot that the gang was somewhere off in the background and the cops were marching towards me.

In that moment I realized that I needed Dallas like Dallas needed Johnny.

My right arm raised straight into the sky with Dallas's sleek black gun faced towards the dark rain clouds. My finger slowly put pressure on the trigger, letting out a load of bullets.

By the time I was about to empty another bullet into the night sky I felt a rip in my arm. It was painful, so painful that I didn't want to look at it. Warm liquid was already flowing and hardening down my arm.

I dropped the gun to the ground and heard another gun go off before feeling another rip in the same shoulder with the bullet. The ground came rushing towards me, or at least I think it did, all I could do was watch as the dark storm clouds and rain drops distanced themselves from me.

My head was fixed to my left, towards Dally but away from the wounds which were numbing faster and faster. I felt my vision blacken constantly, but I knew that if I didn't stay awake I would surely die.

"Dally?" I croaked out in a quiet, hurt, voice.

"Baby?"

"Don't fall asleep on me please." I said to him, my left arm creeping into his right arm. He was only two feet away from me but I swear it felt like miles.

"It's just a matter of time Baby Cakes." Dally said to me before I felt his hand start to go limp. I squeezed it.

"No Dallas." I propped myself up on my good arm, my other no longer even in the spectrum of a feeling besides the rain that poured into the bullet wounds.

"No Dally, You're to young to die!" I said, falling over onto his chest. I took the time just to try to listen to his heartbeat. I could tell that he could make it to another day if he just listened to me and stayed awake.

I felt a little less certain that I could make it to tomorrow too, Dallas's chest and the soothing sound of rain at night putting me to sleep. The police sirens and rain dulled in volume as I closed my eyes, the only thing on my mind being the soothing rhythm of Dallas's slowing heart beat.

"Step away from the bodies sir." A police officer said in the distance before I felt someone embrace me for a few seconds and be pulled away in a forceful manner. I couldn't fall asleep anymore, guilt maybe, I couldn't leave them like Johnny did. They didn't love me as much as Johnny of course, but I didn't want to die with Dallas here.

A rubber gloved hand grabbed at my shoulders forcefully and I could feel myself being carried somewhere. Then I heard a car door open and close and I felt myself being laid length wise against the all to familiar plastic police car seat. The police sirens started blaring. The car I was in and the car that I could hear behind me both making their way to the hospital.

Great. The men who just tried to kill Dallas and I are now trying to put us back together in a hospital. If I couldn't make it I just hope that Dallas would be able to pull through.

------------------

Jail. Two months for me and three for Dally. He's getting better every day, were going to be sent to separate county jails in only a week. Their judicial system here is completely turned over, they didn't even let me appear in court. Someone did come in here to interview me, but he was so judgement and biased that I ended up loosing my temper and throwing my water all over his face and clipboard.

What can I say, Im not a good kid.

I sat in the hospital room alone, it was almost like I had been in here forever. I didn't know how I felt like being here. I felt like a little doll all exposed in my hospital gown, my dark blonde hair falling down to just about my elbows. No one ever told me how Dallas was doing, I was just rolled by his room by a nurse every few days and got to see him for a few brief seconds out of his little glass window on the door.

Jail would be fine for me and Dally, we had been there before. I didn't know if he would still care for me after the matter.

I lied down soar and sick feeling. The nurses refused to examine my stomach, but I swore that I felt thumping there from time to time or something weird.

I looked out the window, it seemed lonely, empty, meaningless only showing one shade of sky blue. They might've well just put a blue poster there and framed it.

I had no more excuse to be in here I was pretty much better already, I took out the needles in my arms and threw them onto the white tiled hospital ground.

It hurt, but I tried and was able to walk over to the already spread-out wheel chair. I had already made it so far, so I just sat in the chair and started rolling. It started with me getting out of the hospital room, then out of the hallway, then to the elevator.

I put pressure on the button and watched as the creaky elevator doors opened. By the time I rolled inside it was to late for my nurse, who had just dropped a load of thin white blankets starting at me. I laughed, maybe I'm just a little bit messed up in the head.

Getting out of the hospital was an easy task, the receptionist didn't even bother to look at me while filing her nails. It wasn't until I rolled myself onto the side walk that I realized I didn't know where the Curtis house was.

My face sunk, and I almost lost all hope, until I saw an all to familiar man on a horse strolling around.

"Hey pretty lady, why are you out here all lonesome?" I heard him say leaning down towards me, he had his horse set in place now right next to me.

"Do you remember where my house is?" I asked as politely as possible at that moment. He tipped his hat and helped me get onto the horse indent of his all secured this time since I obviously couldn't get my arms wrapped around him from my shots.

"We'll be there in a jiffy." he said before kicking at his horse's side. It seemed to take just a minute before we were jumping off the horse.

"What's up with you and all these injuries? I try and help you every time I see you, but it seems your always hurt." The man stroked under his chin for a second. "Are those people in the abusing ya'? he said tilting his cowboy hat up a little bit.

"You don't know them, they'd never do that!" I snapped while starring him in the eyes, you never let someone talk bad about the people who help you out the most. "Now would you please help me up to the porch?" I smiled and he took my arm and slung it around his shoulders.