Chapter Fourteen

Dallas started running towards the flaming stair case, giving me no choice to go along with him. "Dallas I-" was all that I was able to choke out before I felt the entire building tilted over to the left completely like a Jenga game. In a flash we were shoved into the right side of the wall along with all of the furniture in the room.

It felt as if it were going in slow motion, but despite the extra time I was being given there was practically noting I could do. I looked over at Dallas, now he was running over in my direction with his arms bent like a sprinter would, I knew he wouldn't make it to me before the building collapsed to the ground.

There was an impact against my stomach, it wasn't Dallas, but one of the large wooden desks that were covered in embers. I couched over from the pain and balled up while closing my eyes, awaiting the impact of the building on the ground. There was more snapping of the cheap wood and crashes of slabs of cement on the ground below that was coming closer and closer. I opened my eyes for a second just to see and everything was red from fire and embers.

Suddenly I felt a pair of arms grasp my stomach and Dallas was encircled around me completely on his knees, his head tucked into me near mine. Something about him being here was comforting. Then I felt the final impact. The last straw. Everything slowly went black as I went numb, the last thing in my vision being a blackened Dallas beginning to stumble and stand up, it made me smile inside knowing he'd make if. Is this what it's like to care for someone, even love? The nothingness took me back, there was still pain, but quickly there was less and less as more of my senses failed. Is this what it's like to die?

--------------------

I woke up, I think, I know that I'm aware at the least. I could feel that there was a large light above me, making my vision orange even though I had my eyes closed.

"Her heart rate changed doctor."

"Not my problem, she's about to be transferred."

"Transferred?"

"To Tulsa along with those other boys, they've got family there that will be there for their funerals, some guy will be picking them up soon."

"She's not dead yet doctor, you can't just say that!"

"I just did, she's going to die soon if she doesn't get up, and we both know the child that was with her is as good as gone!"

"Fine, then we need to get her stuff packed up." I heard the lady say before walking out of the door along with what I assumed was the doctor. Back to Tulsa?

It hit me like a brick wall. I stole Pony boy and Johnny from their gang, without telling them. They hate me, I know it, but does Dallas? Dallas isn't the boy they said was going to die, was he? If he wasn't though, that means they were talking about Pony boy or Johnny, and they were to young to die! Was there any other children? Damn, why did I drag them with me, I could've just said I killed the Soc. Damn it, why did I have to be so stupid!

Slowly I sat up, I still couldn't open my eyes. Everything hurts, especially my stomach were I had gone burnt the most. I guess there was less damage because of Dallas, I didn't want to know how he felt.

The door opened and closed and someone walked over to my hospital bed. They picked me up and put me in a wheelchair before taking me out of the hospital, I could smell the air outside. Then I was rolled into a big car with a big opening in the back. I was left in there, and I heard pairs of feet come in, probably not seeing me.

I opened my eyes and saw nothing, everything was black! I stood up and tryed to move around before collapsing to what i think was the dirty floor of the car.

"Huh, who's there?" I heard Pony boy say.

"Pony?" I asked, putting my head up. "Pony, can you help me, I can't get up."

"I'm so sorry Baby but where are you? I can't see you."

"YOU CAN'T SEE EITHER!" this was to much of a coincidence. I slowly raised my arms next to my face, it hurt so much to move. I instantly felt a skin tight material wrapped around the upper half of my head. Then I felt more feet come onto the hollow car.

"FREAKING LET ME GO!" I heard Dallas say, I heard him tossing and turning around. "WHY THE HELL IS BABY ON THE GROUND!" he said, he obviously didn't have the blinding fabric on.

I got yanked up harshly back into my wheelchair, probably by one of the nurses. It tore open some of my wounds and a warm liquid flowed down my arm.

Someone got smacked. "DON'T EVER TOUCH HER AGAIN!" I heard Dallas yell. I tried to sit up straight and tell him I was okay, but I ended up scratching some of my wounds on the wheel chair.

"Can you please get these stinky masks off of us Dally?" Pony said innocently. I could hear Dallas stomp over him and probably take it off before walking in my direction. Dallas shoved my head down and started untying what I guess was a knot in the back. I watched after a few seconds and saw it fall off of me.

"Thanks" I said looking up at Dallas. He was burnt bad, not deep like I was, but enough in so many places that he would probably have scars almost everywhere. His face was almost free of any burns though, but Dallas was frowning while looking at me. I was ugly now, I thought, that's why he was frowning.

I looked over at Pony, he didn't have a single scratch at all.

"Pony, how did the fire start?" I asked. He only looked down at his hands.

"See, Johnny and I, um, we had some cigarettes and, um, we forgot to put out one of them." he said.

"Where is Johnny anyways, is he alright too?" Dallas asked coolly, sitting down onto one of the bench like seats that were on the sides of the van.

"No." Pony said hoarsely. Suddenly another nurse came in with Johnny in a wheel chair like me, Johnny looked asleep, he had one of those masks on too.

The nurse smacked her lips "How did you all manage to get your masks off?" She walked off angrily and quickly came back on with some doctors who held blinding masks and handcuffs. They ganged up and shoved Dallas and Pony down first putting their hand behind their backs and chaining them to a long bar that ran up from the roof to the floor that was suspended to keep the bench seats up.

A doctor walked up to me and shoved the mask over me before putting a hand cuff on my right hand and chained the other to the thick wheel chair tire. I think they did the same to Johnny before walking out.

We waited, yelling for a few minutes before I heard the drivers door open and close.

"Who are you?" I heard Pony boy ask, he was loosing hope too I guess.

"WHAT DO YOU WANT WITH US YA' LITTLE TRAMP!" I heard Dallas yell out. Then the driver chuckled a crazy laugh. I recognized it almost instantly.

"The deal was her... but I might as well take all of you with us." Curly said before starting up the car.