Chapter Nine

When I woke up it was still dark outside, but from the little light the came from the moon I could see that I was the only one in the front room right now. I stood up and started walking, I was fine enough and no matter how nice the boys were being to me I didn't want to be a bother to them. Most of the bruises had healed up by now from putting vinegar on them and the cuts had began closing up, well besides the one Sylvia had reopened.

The door creaked a bit when I opened it and I looked around, no one was woken up I think. Steps down the house reminded me why I wanted to stay on the couch those days anyways, but after a minute I made it down. That's when I began walking down the street.

Maybe I'll come back when I'm better, I thought. Maybe I'll never come back, anyway I walked towards the park, where my long awaited bench was. I could no longer fit snugly on it though since I'm a little bigger than it, but things were gonna be alright. They were gonna be better off without me, and honestly I'm better off alone with my pride.

It was still dark by the time I got to the park, where some hoods were already starting to hangout. What kids are let out their house in this area anyways to play on a park?

With my bad vision I squinted at the three boys who were hanging off the weird monkey bar thing. They didn't look bad, just bored, I ignored them and walked to the bench where I sat down clumsily. Everything was fine, the darkness took away any awkwardness that might have been, until I saw an out of place mustang that started to drive around us.

Only soc's owned those cars. I could hear the boys on the monkey bars shut up as the car started coming closer. It paused near an open park of the park and began driving onto the grass and stopped near the monkey bars.

I stood up and swallowed my pride while walking over to the boys. That's when I noticed that it was only Pony boy and Johnny.

"Damn." I whispered under my breath "Such a small world."

"Do you wanna make a run for it?" I heard pony say to Johnny while moving off of the monkey bars.

"To late now, here they come." Johnny said quietly. I walked up and leaned on the monkey bars, the boys were already down slouching over to look intimidating.

''Baby?" I saw Pony boy and Johnny mouth to me simultaneously. Nodding my head I looked over into Johnny's pocket, he had a switchblade too, and I knew he would use it if he had to. I sure hope he wouldn't.

"Hey, watta ya know?" a boy with rings on his big fingers said a little unsteadily "here's the little greasers that picked up our girls. Hey, greasers."

"You're outa your territory." Johnny warned in a low voice. "You'd better watch it."

"Nup, pal, your the ones who'd better watch it. Next time you want a broad, pick up one of your own kind greaser." The soc said before shoving Johnny back a little bit.

"You know what a greaser is?" The ring fingered guy asked. "White trash with long hair." his pack behind him, about five or so guys, snarling and chuckling behind him.

Johnny made a kind of gasp, and all three of our eyes were smoldering. Pony joined in "You know what a Soc is?" he said, his voice shaking with rage. "White trash with Mustangs and madras." and then he spit on them.

The soc shook his head smiling slowly. "You could use a bath, greaser. And a good working over. And we've got all night to do it. Give the kid a bath David."

I saw the fountain he nodded at and that's when I realized that they were gonna drown him! I yanked my five inch switchblade out of my back pocket and ran up to the big-talking soc.

"See buddy, this is why that isn't gonna work." I said smiling while shoving the knife up to his neck. The boy was about a foot taller than me, and I saw that when he looked down at me he was grinning.

"I dare you, greaser." he said. He though I was to chicken, and I couldn't blame him, he didn't know my past.

"IM A HOOD!" I yelled at him before all hell broke loose.

I slit his throat, not deep enough to kill him but enough to keep him down for a while before shoving him to the ground. Two socs were starting to drown Pony boy and I started running up to them before someone got in my way.

"Go away!" I yelled and punched him in the face. He had black hair and light skin and dropped to the ground like a fly. When I steeped over him though he grabbed my leg and started yanking me back towards him. I kicked him in the face repeatably but he wouldn't let go and I felt some of my wounds reopen.

I heard Pony scream and something inside me clicked. I sat up and punched the boy in the neck, and while his arms flew up I stood up and ran to help Pony Boy. Johnny was already getting over there too and we both yanked a soc off of Pony boy, but one was still drowning him.

It must have been in the moment, it had to have been something just in the moment. I looked over and saw Johnny lean over to get a good look at the Socs face and slit the guys throat and continuously stabbing him in cold blooded vengeance. The boy in the gang who seemed to be the pet just killed someone.

Everything went quiet. All the socs were knocked out or on the ground, but one was dead. The boys were young, I hadn't killed them for that very reason, but I saw the look in Johnny's eyes when he killed the soc, he enjoyed it.

Pony boy got out of the fountain, coughing water out when he looked over to see the Socs dead body. "Johnny, I think I'm gonna be sick." he said before leaning over.

"Go ahead," he said in a steady voice "I won't look at you."

The boys looked like a mess, Pony boy getting sick and Johnny muttering to himself. I stood up and grabbed Johnny by the shirt collar.

"You did what you had to do!" I said loudly, looking Johnny in the eyes, then I turned to Pony boy "You can't let this get to you, pick yourself up!" I yelled to him, grabbing him by his collar too. They were both about the same age as me but significantly taller.

"You're acting like you've never seen a dead person before." I said, slinging my arms over both their shoulders and starting to walk outta the park.

They were both silent in shock, Johnny just killed a soc, a rich boy. That was what made all the difference, it meant that the family had the money to find out it was Johnny.

"We can't go home!" Pony boy said sassily getting out of my reach, both of the boys were soaking wet on the cold night, they'd die of hypothermia before the cops ever got to them.

"You're not going home!" I spat back at him. The boys continued walking with me, silently. It took us a few minutes to get to Tim Shepard's place, where the car was. I opened the unlocked door and hopped in, taking a pair of car keys out of my pocket. I can't believe Tim ever trusted me with these!

"This your car?" Pony said, he sat in the backseat along with Johnny.

"Nope, but either one of you wanna go on a road-trip?" I said, looking back and smiling at them. They both gave somewhat of a grin in their eyes back as I put the keys in the egnition.