Chapter Two

Chapter Two

She had made it maybe three blocks away before the reality of what had just occurred hit her, and Kay fell to her knees in the middle of the sidewalk on that darkened street in New York City. It has been about Sonic all along, she realized with a sort of panicked twinge in her gut. It all makes sense now. No wonder the Purple Dragons and the Foot Clan knew about the Chaos Emerald. It was Eggman the whole time. Eggman.

Kay clenched her fists, heart racing. I can't believe it. After two whole years, this is what I get? Eggman wins because of a stupid promise I gave blindly?

A hand touched her shoulder. "Hello?"

Kay's instincts took over and without thinking, she whirled around and knocked her stalker's arm aside, leaving a wide gap for her to land a direct punch to his jaw. It was only after she had sent him sprawling backwards on the concrete that she realized who it was. "Donnie!"

"Hey, I called your name a couple of times," the purple-clad Turtle said defensively, holding his chin and giving her a look that was almost a glare.

"I'm so sorry! Are you all right?"

"I could ask you the same thing!" he snapped. "Where have you been, Kay? We've been worried about you."

She spoke before she had a chance to stop herself. "Where's Raph?"

Donnie dropped his hand from his chin and stared at her. "Really?"

"I mean, I'm sorry I made you all worry..." Kay said, flustered, "but where's Raph?"

"Out looking for you just like Mikey and I. I'll let them know I found you. But you never answered my question." Donnie frowned. "Where have you been?"

He's going to freak, she thought, but decided it was best to just get it over with. "Getting answers...from Karai."

"Karai?" The scientist was obviously upset. "She could have really hurt you, Kay."

Kay's heart raced faster and faster the more her rational side caught up with her impulsive one. "It's worse than that. I made a promise that I can't keep."

Donnie tilted his head at her warily. "What promise?"

The first rays of the sun shone down on them, and presently Kay became aware that it was warmer now than when she had gone to see Karai in the first place. She glanced up, realized what was happening, and said, "Not to avoid the question, but shouldn't we probably talk about this somewhere the sun isn't going to announce your presence?"

The purple-clad Turtle seemed to come to his senses then, but kept a wary eye on her in the meantime. "Probably," he said, then gestured for her to follow him. "Come on."

The brick wall slid open, and instantly the lair was filled with frantic voices and general chaos as Donnie and Kay made their way to the living area. All of the guys were asking questions at once; Mikey would occasionally grab her arm or leg to check for injuries. And strangely, it didn't bother her as much as the constant noise that had been in her head back on Mobius. It was actually rather peaceful in comparison.

Mobius.

"I'm all right, guys, seriously," she repeated over and over.

Finally Raph took charge and hushed everyone by asking the one question that was most prominent in their minds. "Where were you?"

Really, Raph? She wanted to say, keeping her gaze level with his. You're the one who let me go.

Donnie answered for her. "I found her wandering the streets. Apparently she went to Karai."

Everyone erupted once again, even more questions than before spilling out one after another like waves on the beach. It was crazy, but not as bad as it could have been. She was about to tell everyone to listen up when Donnie grabbed her arm and dragged her away towards his lab, protests rising into the air behind them until the doors were closed and all was silent.

The scientist turned to her slowly, crossing his arms, waiting expectantly for an explanation.

"It's Eggman," she blurted.

"Huh-what?"

"The guy who's been after the Emerald all this time. It's Doctor Eggman."

"The bad guy from the Sonic video games?" Donnie asked incredulously.

"Yes." When he said nothing in reply, Kay sighed. "I know it sounds crazy, but—"

"I believe you." Donnie shook his head. "I'm having a hard time picturing it, but I believe you."

Kay took that as her cue to tell him everything about her encounter this evening, from losing her battle with Karai to discovering Eggman's hand in her story even now, long after her Mobian friends had forgotten her. She told him of her promise to deliver the Emerald, how the doctor had given her twenty-four hours – which, with the time difference, was probably just a few minutes to him. Finally she got around to asking Donnie for his advice. What should she do? What could she do?

The third of four brothers let a thoughtful pause rest between them for several moments. Then, in a much kinder and quieter voice than before, he said, "You have to tell sensei and my brothers, Kay. If what you say is true, there's no hiding it any longer. They need to know."

Kay bit her lip, chewed on it thoughtfully. "I guess I know that," she said at last. "It's just that they probably won't believe me as easily as you."

"I'll back you up on it. Don't worry." Donnie tried to reassure her, but he could see that his efforts were in vain. For a moment he struggled with himself, suddenly debating whether or not to tell her that Raph wasn't the only one who had come running that night that she woke up screaming. He had just been the one to get there first. All four of the brothers knew there was more to her than what she claimed, but at this point, what would be the purpose in telling her that? It would only make her shut them out even more. Finally he settled on, "You don't have to rush out there and tell them right this second. We're all tired. Take some time, sleep on it, and you can tell them tomorrow. Okay?"

Kay's heart was pounding so hard she was certain he could hear it, but if so, he didn't let on. She tore her gaze from him, contemplated the odd patterns in their sewer floor, and finally nodded her consent.

Donnie stepped forward and hugged her gently.