Chapter Twenty-One

Chapter Twenty-One

Leo had had just about enough of this nonsense.

"Give it up, Donnie," he said for what must have been the tenth time that day. "Those portals don't open up with technology; they open with magic. There is no way we're ever going to understand them enough to duplicate them without Kay's help, and she's not here anymore."

Donnie rolled his eyes. He knew his older brother wasn't fond of the theory he'd been working on, but he was getting pretty fed up with the consistent negativity. "I told you, Leo, I almost have it. Sure, it's magic in part, but my scanner picked up enough information about the portal's energy that I think I can duplicate it with science. I'm certain that at least half of its makeup was dependent on technology of some kind, although I'll admit it is fairly alien to me."

"Just what are you hoping to accomplish here?" the leader in blue demanded, crossing his arms. It had been three days since Kay had jumped through the portal and vanished; he saw no reason why they should go after her when she clearly wanted nothing to do with them or Earth.

"It's simple curiosity, bro. I want to know how it works."

"Why? We're never going to need it."

"Oh, come on, Leo," Mikey piped up suddenly as he waltzed into the lab, a bowl of popcorn in hand. "Where's your sense of adventure?"

"Thank you, Mikey." Donnie looked at Leo pointedly, grateful for his younger brother's support.

"Besides, you never know when we'll need to open a portal to another world," the orange-clad turtle continued. "Maybe when we're all in our forties we'll have to fight this Godzilla-sized demon that wants to burn New York City to the ground and since we're so old we won't be able to stop him and we'll need this portal thingie to escape and then we'll live on a beautiful alien island and finally be able to return to the sea from whence we came."

Donnie stopped what he was doing to stare at him along with Leo. "We're freshwater turtles, Mikey."

Mikey shrugged. "Still."

As the scientist got back to work, Leo said, "I think you just want to see Kay again. Make sure she's safe, or whatever."

"Well, it's not like we had a chance to say goodbye," Mikey replied. He shoved a handful of popcorn in his mouth.

"It's not like she took the time to say goodbye a few nights ago when she ran out of here to live with Casey and April."

Donnie muttered, "Maybe if you hadn't tried to tell her how to fight an enemy she's faced before but none of us know anything about..."

"He's a character from a video game."

"And obviously he's real!" Donnie yelled suddenly, startling his brothers and rising to his feet to glare at his leader. "She was there, Leo. On Sonic's world. She fought Eggman with him. You heard the story - you saw the magic! You're so determined to pretend that none of it ever happened and I'm sick of it! A good leader adapts to change and accepts when he's in over his head. You act like you've never needed help before. If the only reason you hate Kay so much is because she knew what needed to be done and fought back when you tried to take control, then go to Splinter and get an attitude check, because I don't want any of your garbage in my laboratory anymore!"

Donatello took a deep breath, forced himself to count to ten, and sighed. Then he turned his back on Leo and muttered, "Get out."

He didn't move again until he heard his lab door open and close, and then he looked over his shoulder at Mikey, whose popcorn had long since been forgotten.