Chapter Thirty

Chapter Thirty

Raph paced back and forth in the dojo, where his brothers, Karai, and Splinter had all met up after everything had been settled topside. The news was going crazy, but none of them paid any attention to it. They were more concerned with what had happened to their friend. The red-clad Turtle finally said what they were all thinking. "She's not dead, right?"

For a moment there was silence. Then Donnie spoke up quietly. "She did have an awful lot of power in her, Raph. And...from what I understand about it, only Mobians can use that type of energy without fatal consequences. She...she was still human, after all..."

"But it doesn't make sense!" Raph insisted. "You guys heard her talk about Mobius, too. She loved it so much more than she did Earth. She practically hated it here. Why would she die trying to save it?"

"She did save it. And she knew she could," Leo pointed out.

Karai offered her opinion. "Before she left, she did sound like she was bidding you all farewell. I think she knew what was about to happen, which is why she asked me to pass on her message for you. She knew she would not be able to herself."

There was silence once again for several minutes. Then Leo finally said in a quiet voice, "I believe Karai is right. I tried to stop Kay from doing everything she did, but she fought me every step of the way. Kicked my butt over it, too." He nodded more firmly with every word. "She knew what she was doing. And whatever happened to her while she was on Mobius, she knew what that all meant, too. Kay had everything under control, up until her final breath."

"She knew she would die, and she saved us all anyway," Mikey muttered, shaking his head. "Dude."

Raph ran his hands over his head agitatedly. "So she really is gone?"

Leo sighed. "I think so, Raph."

At this point, Master Splinter spoke. "Kay was a very special and very intelligent young woman. She did not let her personal feelings get the best of her and did a very great thing because of it. In the end, I believe she came to accept who she was fully, both inside and out, which is why she was so content to let it all go for this great cause. She saved our city, and we will always remember her for it." He took a breath. "Come, my sons. Oroku Karai. Let us meditate on the events of these past several hours, and lay Kay to rest in our hearts. She deserves peace in her afterlife."

~

Both Sonic and Shadow could feel the massive disturbance in the Chaos Force as Kay set things in motion on the other side of the portals. Sonic shouted to warn his teammates of the oncoming energy wave. "Everyone brace yourselves!"

They all did just that, in whatever way they could. Some clung to their colleagues, some held on desperately to the various aircraft surrounding Dark Gaia. Eggman tried to retreat, but it was far too late for that, and instead he was sent hurtling when the largest, most powerful Chaos Blast in recorded Mobian history hurtled through the Genesis Portals into their world, targeting Dark Gaia with full force. The great monster reared his head as raw Chaos consumed him and activated the Seven Chaos Emeralds placed in the Temples around the world. Sonic felt the change, too, and he yelled as he was transformed in the midst of the calamity.

Chip, too, could sense the time was now, and he unleashed all the power of Light Gaia he had within him to aid in the Master Emerald's great reset.

There was a brilliant flash of white light from the other side of the portals, so bright that even the Mobians had to cover their eyes to avoid being blinded. Dark Gaia roared, Sonic yelled, Chip shouted. And then all at once, it was over.

Slowly, one by one, the Mobians began to open their eyes and peer around them. It didn't take long for their gasps and cries of joy to lift into the air, eventually becoming one giant victory shout. Princess Sally, still held in midair by Cream, looked upon her planet as if for the first time. All of the continents were back in place; the ever-present darkness was gone, replaced by a clear blue sky and bright yellow sun. Everything was so green on the land below, and the ocean positively sparkled with newly restored life. She wiped away a tear of joy and relief, then said to her companion, "Take us back to the Sky Patrol, Cream. It's finally over."

Sonic lay trembling on the roof of the Sky Patrol, fighting to regain his breath after it had been ripped out of him so suddenly. But little by little he found himself regaining strength, and when he had returned to his senses he saw that he was physically back to normal as well. No more dark grey fur or fangs for him - he was True Blue once more. He grinned and pumped his fist in the air. "Yeah! I'm back, baby!"

"Don't get too cocky, faker," Shadow scoffed at him good-naturedly as Rouge brought them to land on the airship.

"Hey, when you got it, flaunt it." Sonic smirked.

Sally let go of Cream's hand and landed beside the forming group. She glanced around the sky for a moment. "Where's Knuckles?"

"Here," the red echidna replied, joining them. He brushed himself off. "Well. That was a ride."

"My question is, what about the Master Emerald's power?" Sally inquired. "Did it all get back here before the portals closed?"

Knuckles nodded. "Oh, yeah. We had plenty of time."

"I can sense that the Chaos Force is back to normal," Shadow concurred.

"Yeah. Although the Master Emerald itself is still broken, none of its power was left on Earth. It's just a matter of restoring the gem and putting it back on Angel Island now." He lowered his eyes. "And I think it's safe to say that our Emerald's Chosen is gone."

Sonic nodded. "Tikal said that this would kill her, and Kay did it anyway. She was truly a hero."

"Yes," Sally agreed. "She was."

Shadow frowned as a thought occurred to him. "Knuckles. The Master Emerald was not repaired prior to the planet being put back together?"

"My quest was kind of interrupted."

"Doesn't that mean Angel Island is in the ocean now?"

Knuckles eyes widened. "Relic! Oh, man! She didn't even have any warning..."

Shadow held out his hand. "Come. I'll take you to her."

Moments later the two of them were gone, leaving a small band of tired Freedom Fighters atop the Sky Patrol. Sonic and Sally exchanged smiles. They both knew what the other was thinking - the war was far from over, but this major battle had been won. There were still problems to fix and people to save, but they could rest easier knowing that the planet was no longer under threat of total destruction.

All because of the Emerald's Chosen.